OBD 1789?

Asked by Apr 03, 2015 at 12:58 PM about the 1989 Dodge Grand Caravan 3 Dr SE Passenger Van Extended

I was given a 1989 Doge Grand Caravan for my daughter. When I went to pick up the van, I noticed that the previous owner had a flat pan under the van. It seems that transmission oil was coming out of the bottom of the transmission. I took it for a drive and noticed that the transmission was having shifting problems. Two days later the check engine light came on. I checked it with my obd reader and I got a fault code P1789. I would appreciate and honest and intelligent opinion on what could be causing this problems. Furthermore, I noticed that the transmission dip stick showed that transmission oil is needed. I put some transmission oil and I still experienced the shifting problems. It delays to shift to drive or reverse. I am afraid to take it to a shop because most of these shops want to brake your arms and legs and poke your eyes as charge is concern. It might be a simple job that may require to replace a sensor or cleaning issue. The shop may suggest that the transmission needs to be overhauled. I had bad experiences with several mechanic shops in the past. The honest shops are hard to find.

217,885

P1789 is a transmission code. "Pressure control solenoid B Short circuit"It also might be leaking there as well or it might be the pan gasket or both. Here is a video on another car to see what is involved in replacing the solenoid if in fact that is the problem....https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=RSGOV4ZgKfg.....I suspect you were given the van for free because it will require some repairs and money to keep it on the road. Keep the trans fluid at the proper level until you have it repaired. Find a decent mechanic or trans shop in your area to perform the fix. Talk to friends and family to find one. Online is good for that too.