Where is the speed sensor located

Asked by Mar 09, 2017 at 07:39 PM about the 2013 Hyundai Accent GLS Sedan FWD

I have a 2013 Hyundai accent gls.... I went to
AutoZone they put it in a machine for my check
engine light... it's a speed sensor, but the only
problem is no one can find where the speed sensor
goes.... HELLLLP PLEASE

2,620

speed sensor in newer cars like yours is the ABS sensor and you have 4, 1 at each wheel, you do have ABS??

86,945

There located at the rear wheels. Right behind the backing plate you will see some wires running to the backing plate. The scanner also should have told you which one it was, otherwise your just guessing.

The abs light is on also.... my dad said the abs cord is bad... so is that what's making the check engine light come on also?

Rowefast, it was hit on the passenger side... I had to get a new wheel spinal or spindal

You guys are the best thank you

86,945

So did the scanner say wheel speed sensor? Because there is a speed sensor in the transmission. Chances are tho for the ABS light it is where you got hit, and like your dad says, it probably needs a new connector that plugs into the wheel speed sensor. The check engine light is something different. The scanner should have gave you some trouble codes.

Rowefast, it just said speed sensor.... it didn't say rather or if its the wheel but the code that came was t2159

86,945

Is that p2159? If it is, this has nothing to do with the wheel speed sensor. That would be a "C" code.

Ok

86,945

If you can try and find a better scanner.

Ok thank you

2,620

What causes the P2159 code? Faulty vehicle speed sensor Faulty ABS sensor Vehicle speed sensor wiring that is damaged, shorted, or open Vehicle speed sensor connector that is damaged, corroded, or disconnected Faulty wheel bearings Faulty reluctor ring Aftermarket tires and wheels Faulty PCM Faulty or failed transmission (rare) What are the symptoms of the P2159 code? Check Engine Light is on Faulty speedometer Faulty tachometer Faulty odometer Disabled anti-lock brakes ABS warning indicator light is on Unstable shift patterns Malfunction in the vehicle rev limiter

86,945

Yea, thats what I mean, this would have to be a "P" 2159 code. I did not see a "C" 2159 code. The "C" codes are for the ABS system, and the "P" code is for the power train, engine & transmission. You said you got hit in the back end and the wheel was damaged. Was the wheel bearing hub assembly replaced? It sounds like it should have ben. There are two different hub assemblies that this could be, one has the wheel speed sensor mounted on the hub assembly, and the other one has a reluctor on it, which means the wheel speed sensor is mounted separately. If all that has ben replaced, then the problem is the wire connector. You can get a new connector at the auto parts store, and you would want to install it, splice into the wire as far back as the length of the new wire the connector comes with. Solder it when splicing it in. If this is actually a "P" code there is a speedometer speed sensor for a standard transmission, that could be the culprit. More than likely the problem rest at the back wheel yet.

It was the front passenger wheel and fender that was hit.... p2159 is the code that came up with speed sensor

T2159 I meant

86,945

Still all above applies.

86,945

I should mention, sometimes a vehicle will have its own set of codes. I can't find anything on a "T" code. You may want to check with the dealer. If it has anything to do with what we discussed, then still the above mentioned would apply.

Ok thank you

I am dealing with the speed sensor currently ..my understanding is the sensor is in the cluster on top of the transmission. It really doesnt have anything to do with the ABS ... that's what my mechanic told me. I hope that helps.