Ford transit connect stuck in park

Asked by Bonbonnie Feb 15, 2017 at 06:47 PM about the 2013 Ford Transit Connect Wagon XLT Premium FWD

Vehicle is stuck in park because shifter won't move
and brake lights don't come on. What is likely cause
of problem?

188,255

The brake light switch is part of the shift interlock system. It may be the brake light switch is bad, since you have no brake lights. This has no bearing on this but make sure your bulbs are good.

269,625

First thing to check is for a blown fuse, if there is no power the interlock won't work to release the shiftier lock, if the fuses check good then dig out your test light and check for power to the brake light switch going in and for power coming out when you press on the pedal, if you have power going in and none coming out then the switch is bad.

60

I have a 2013 Ford Transit Connect. 37594 miles. When I crank it and put my foot on the brakes yo put it in Reverse or drink it won't do anything?

110

Be sure to inspect the brake light switch closely. There is a pin that rests against the brake pedal arm that slides out when the pedal is depressed. If it becomes stuck then it's as if the brake pedal is not being depressed and the shifter mechanism will not get power. I cleaned it with a generoous blast of contact cleaner and then followed up with a light, spray lubricant and it works fine.

130

We just bought our transit a week ago and the transmission locked up in PARK. Our brake lights were out on one side. We read your answer and sure enough not only was the bulb burned out, but the fuse was blown too. We replaced both and suddenly the shift worked-- we could finally move our car! THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help!

10

The third brake light internal failure will eventually blow the fuse and leave you stuck in park. Replace or at least unplug the third brake light

70

Hi guys. I have a 2012 TC and the third brake light burned out just after buying it and left me unable to shift out of park...just like others in this post. I didn't know it was the brake light since I was on my own and unable to see the back while sitting in the drivers seat. (Physical limitation of not being 20 feet tall.) But as I was trying to figure out what was going on, I remembered test driving other used TCs that were missing the small black plug beside the shifter. I wondered if it might provide some sort of override so I pushed a key into that hole, depressing the white plastic part...and it worked. I was able to shift normal and drive home. I didn't know how that worked or that I was now driving without that third brake light. So, while I'm not saying this is the answer to the problem or recommending this as an option it got me home. 2 years later and I couldn't shift again, intermittently. This time I was at home and had my wife look at the lights. Some times ALL the lights came on and I could shift but some times NONE of the lights came on and no shift function. Clearly it wasn't a fuse problem but I thought that the switch was sticking or I had a lose connection. It turned out to be that the switch had partially dislodged from the bracket...no idea how. (To fully remove the switch, turn it a 1/4 turn counterclockwise.) After inspecting the switch, all I needed to do was push it back into the bracket and give it a 1/4 turn clockwise to lock it into position. No more problem. Hope this helps some of you.