Brake light

10

Asked by May 31, 2014 at 07:40 PM about the 2000 Dodge Caravan Base

Data:
-- Left brake light doesn't work
-- Driving lights work both sides
-- Turn signal and hazard flashers work both sides
-- 3 new bulbs
What I've read here is that if the hazards work, it could be the switch, but that was for
both lights. The question is: if it's a wiring issue, is there a relatively easy/cheap way
to fix this? And are the wiring guides available anywhere?

adMANYTHANKSvance

114,095

Have you checked the bulb socket. Check with test light or multi meter for both power and ground circuit when brake is applied. Also With age they tend to get corroded up on the small terminal that touch the bulb(green looking tarnish). They sometimes break too. Also check the wires going into the socket for power and ground when brake is applied. If you have power in the wires and not the socket it's a socket issue.

10

Thank you. I won't be able to test this until Tuesday, but I really hope you're right. It was wrecked before I bought it, and the light encasement is almost literally held on with duct tape (not really, but one of the two screws holding it in is a deck screw). *sigh*

114,095

Ok I feel you will find your issue there. Good luck and keep us posted.

10

I can't test it all the way just yet (might be tomorrow), but there was a lamp socket that was rusted and not connecting. We cleaned it off, and got a connection, so I'm at least a little optimistic. Again, thank you, and I'll let you know as soon as I do.

60

My back brake light was out. I put in a bub it worked fine then next day it wasn't working.Any suggestions?

10

Was able to test it tonight, and it works!! Thank you!!! Tomorrow, we take on the horn. Woot! Best,