I have a 2001 dodge stratus. When I try to crank the car it turns over the fuel pump makes the regular noise bur the car will not crank up. any suggestions?

Asked by Aug 20, 2015 at 10:21 PM about the 2001 Dodge Stratus SE

3,495

CHECK SPARK, COMPRESSION AND MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS FUEL, SEEING IS BETTER THAN HEARING

1,465

Do you hear a clicking sound when turning the ignition on?

it tries to crank but it's not getting any fire

1,465

Got fuel in the car? Try to prime the pump 3 times (turn key to hear pump) and hold the pedal while starting. Don't hold to long, you'll end up with a dead battery.

tried all of that

1,465

Unless you want to spend some time diagnosing the issue, I suggest going to the shop or a friend with mechanical abilities. I'll provide some hints nevertheless. If the engine is turning but not sputtering at all, you probably don't have any fire or gas going to the engine. In order of probability, it could be spark plugs, spark wires, bad fuel pump, fuel filter clogged up, clogged up injector9s). Also look for dead fuses. A less plausible but possible explanation would be the starter spinning freely if its gear is eaten; if it's the case you would only hear the starter and not the engine (more like a whirring sound). Please let us know what's the issue after you find out!