About how long and or hard is it to fix the 02 heater circuit

20

Asked by Jun 01, 2014 at 06:35 PM about the 2001 Dodge Stratus SE

Its for a 2001 dodge stratus 2.7 v6. Just
curious if its an easy fix. But at this very
moment im not sure if its the upstream or
down stream

116,015

What was the code number for check engine light?

17,065

up stream or down stream ON WHICH BANK?

17,065

@dandyoun - they left that part out on purpose and was hoping you would assume that a diy wouldn't word it the way he did unless it was 4; but he also included the V6.

17,065

@dandyoun your answer will cover what is needed to know whether 1,2,or 49 banks.

116,015

Yes the codes point us in the right direction most of the time.

17,065

POINT is the key word.

116,015

That is correct.

20

I'm not a he I'm a she I'm just wondering because I know the part I need is only 55 dollars. But the guy wants to charge me 300 to fix it and I'm 9 months pregnant and cant really afford that much so if it is relatively easy I was going to ask my brother to do it instead. I've already bought a new alternator and pcm when I didn't even need it. Work from a previous"mechanic". So I'm running out of money I had saved

116,015

How do you know its bad? Did the check engine light come on? If so Get the codes read for the check engine light. This will tell you exactly which one is acting up or giving the check engine light.

20

This is gonna be long..... first my Check engine light came on then everything in my car basically stopped working everyone thought it was the alternator, we replaced that. Then ran codes. But a lot pulled up so the first "mechanic" said it was my pcm and he was so sure because all these 02 codes came up. We replaced the pcm. And it still didn't work. So my brother and his mechanically inclined friend narrowed everything down to one of my 02 sensors possibly being grounded and it kept sending too many amps to a fuse and blowing it. So my sister in laws uncle who is a master technician took my car to look at it and all he told me was that I need an 02 heater circuit and he would fix it for 300 but he has already had it for almost 2 weeks and as far as I know hasn't even bought the part which autozone has for 55. I cant afford to pay more than what its really worth to fix. And I cant take it to autozone to run the codes because it wont stay running after that fuse blows

116,015

Oh ok. Look along the exhaust manifolds for possibly a burnt wire on it. This could be the solution to your fuse and code issues.

17,065

Heater should be tested before just putting in a new one; but, the kind of meter that's needed is not the kind most people have hanging around. Then without knowing which one(s) are giving the problem you'd have to test all. And if they test ok(which they can) then there is another problem to locate. As to whether you need a new one or whether your brother can do it or which bank - well I can't say. Even with a code it's still not a straight replacement without a test ; because, putting in a new one won't fix anything if the old one was good. I am not a mechanic so I can't say if $300.00 is a reasonable charge to do a complete test and replacement; plus, if the mechanic tests the sensor heater and it's good then he's got to find the real problem. .......so the job is indeed time consuming, codes can be read for free at Auto Zone ( but we have no Auto Zone where I live , maybe you do ) ..... really sorry but there is not a simple answer to your question. Then the code will need to be cleared and I can't imagine your brother has a reader & a meter.

17,065

your reply came while I was typing- so your brother and friend have meter and skill, yes they can test and replace it.

3,825

If you look in my profile there is a link you can copy to my google drive. it's the FSM for the sebring and stratus