2001 dodge stratus r/t 5 speed. turn key and nothing.

Asked by Dec 27, 2014 at 12:08 PM about the 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe

I had all my lights. Tried in neutral or in gear with clutch in.. nothing.  I popped the clutch and it started right away. Today, I turned the key and it started quick as it usually does... but something's going and it's not fun to be stranded!  Any ideas?

112,085

Have battery checked. Also have all the battery connections tightened and cleaned. Also check alternator output voltage. It should be around 14.5 volts.

Best Answer
11,520

Not sure what you mean about popping the clutch and it started, but I think there is a switch under the dash that won't let the car start unless you push in the clutch, it could be bad.

Popping the clutch: its when you talk your friend into pushing your car and you start the car via having the key on, car in 2nd and right before friend has heart attack, you let out the clutch and varoom, it started. I will check battery tomorrow. I am thinking starter?

Okay the battery and alternator check out. Is there a switch associated with the clutch that could also be the issue?? I know it will not let me start it if I don't have the clutch it.... Even in neutral

112,085

Yes on top of your clutch pedal arm you will find the switch. Make sure pedal is fully depressing the switch when pedal is pushed down

112,085

Something else to try is to raise and lower stearing column tilt. If it's all the way up lower it and try to start. Or visa versa.