Fuel Comsumption

Asked by Mar 05, 2013 at 04:12 PM about the 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe

I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T that has been ruuning through fuel like crazy. Sometimes I smell fuel fumes in the cab and Sometimes I smell it under the hood when its been sitting and now warming up. The fuel has not been a n issue before it has been all of a sudden

you may have a leak if you can smell it under the hood

Common places to look for fuel leaks is the connection between the steel fuel lines and the rubber hoses going to the engine and the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.

Best Answer Mark helpful

let idle run and look under car and hood for liquid fuel,if none check at tail pipe for black carbon on inside of pipe,if carbon its burning rich

I agree with 7jimmy7 its most likely ur air/fuel mix is off a bit. How does it idle does it chug a little?

If the car has a lot of miles on it you might replace the Oxy. sensor in the exhaust. It may be dirty/bad and signaling the need for more fuel delivery.

Yeah.. I would inspect for a leak to be on the safe side. But I also agree with 7jimmy7. Chances are the air/fuel mix is off and you are running rich. Remove one of the spark plugs. See if it looks wet or smells like gas. Do you have a check engine light? O2 sensors will trip a light. A faulty map sensor would also do it, does not always trip a light. If you have higher mileage, I could also be leaking injectors.

Hey everyone I have a 2003 Dodge Stratus 2.4L .. under the hood strong smell of gas, and in the rear where my gas tank is there's drips of gas coming from the tank