Gas leaks when I fill up the tank

Asked by Dec 16, 2011 at 12:05 PM about the 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe

I just purchased the car this morning.

On my way to the SOS I stopped and filled the tank up.
As soon as I pulled out of the gas station I could smell gas bad, to the point of getting me sick.
When I arrived at the SOS I noticed it dripping really bad form what appeared to be the top of
the tank tho I couldn't see that part.

I had to drive it home, on the way the smell started to go away and by the time I pulled in the
drive you could hardly smell it and there was no more leak coming from the tank.

Any ideas would be great thank you very much

105

Also check those tank straps out two and usually doesn ot hurt to get a set of those also the are not much money most the time they are very fairly priced well good luck.

105

also take a look under your back seat if you can figure out how to remove it usually there are two clips like things on each side like if you sat in the back seat they are like postioned right around the middle of your legs at the front or at your right knee in the front peace my man lemme know how things go and also once the gas level drops does it stop leaking thats a important thing to know also cause if she does stop leaking thats almost a definent answer that the tank has issues and when really full it finds a way to make its way out gas is very very thin thinner than water and it gets everywhere and a little can look like a huge amount be carefull man fuel jobs and be dangerous keep your work area well ventilated and please wear ee protections when realeasing lines they may have preassure on them and squirt u in the face ( its happend to me and it stings and takes a while to get feeling better) also realease the fuel cap before starting work cause sometimes more preassure than you think is in there and even after letting that preassure out it can still squirt ya really good so good luck my man hope it fixes it any questions or anything just call me 1-401-527-8457 i can help if im not slamming busy myself i can maybe give you a pointer on something so you dont destroy the car

sounds like somebody replaced the fuel pump & didn't change the rubber seal on the tank. or the fuel line is damaged at the connection to the pump. it's easier to fix when the tank is empty or close to it.

155

I agree with trip65 that would be my guess too.