Why is my 01' neon over heating? I have changed the thermostat , flushed the radiator. Since then, there has been bubbling in my coolant reservoir which happens even if I drive 1 mile.

Asked by Jul 04, 2015 at 08:35 PM about the 2001 Dodge Neon 4 dr Highline ACR

There is a rusty color now as my coolant
and smells horrible daily when I'm driving.
The heat makes the car hotter and over
heating faster . Help me figure this out
please!!!

69,545

Are you loosing any fluid,meaning leaks?

Sometimes when the reservoir bubbles, but as far as when it sits I look under and don't see anything

69,545

Ok,have you changed the water pump?

I've had the water puMp looked at and it was told to be in good condition

69,545

No leaks,and if water pump is good,thermostat new,and flushed the radiator and you have a smell to it,open radiator cap or the resivoir and feel the fluid,does it feel oily?

It looks rusty as far as oily not to sure looks it.

20,270

Are the fans coming on ?

69,545

Im thinking if every thing is good meaning water pump thermostat,and radiator,and the color of the coolant is brown rusty looking after you flushed it,you have a blowed head gasket,making car run hot,and the pressure from it will push the coolant out the resivoir.

69,545

Glad you chimed in firebird,help them figure this out,i gota go watch some fireworks and drank,but i will check back in.

I thought that at 1st when I went to the mechanic they told me no. This is why I can't figure this out. It's bothersome especially day in and out

Yes the fan for the radiator comes on more frequent then before. Well it's coming on more since I change the thermostat

20,270

Check the fins on your radiator make sure none of them are bent if so straighten them out also your radiator maybe clogged with dirt and bugs restricting air flow across the radiator. Try cleaning with a garden hose and nozzle or better yet a pressure washer.

Thank you we will try tomorrow when it's light outside and I will keep u updated. Would it be best to change the radiator as well the cars old and who I had got it from they are older and didn't maintenance it like it should be. It was used to go to and from stores but not far.

20,270

And also how are you bleeding the cooling system ?

20,270

That would be your call on that question but it would definitely not hurt. If you have A.C spray out the condenser coil also.

The a.c. doesn't even works to top it all off. What helps is if I'm far from home n it's heats up then I have to turn the heat on which sucks cus it's already hot

435

If your coolant is still rusty I recommend buying a rebuilt radiator .. Also since its summer time you really don't need a thermostat !!

280

When you say you flushed the radiator, did you go to a professional or did you just replaced the antifreeze by draining the antifreeze yourself and just replace it with new one? The reason I am asking is because I have heard too many people claiming that they flushed the radiator when it fact they just replaced the antifreeze. Unless you use high pressure flushing, there could be a clog somewhere that is not allowing the antifreeze to properly circulate and causes the engine to overheat. Make sure that the mechanic you go to also has high pressure machine too.

I went to a professional. I didn't do anything to the car myself. I grew up doing the STUFF but I'd prefer someone else doing it .

Thermostat in backwards??