2013 Honda Accord: when I try to start it, all the dash lights flash and it isn't cranking.

130

Asked by Jun 20, 2015 at 04:13 AM about the 2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 w/ Nav

Drove 2013 Honda Accord home from work.  Parked in drive, ran inside, and when I came
out, it wouldn't start.  Foot on brake, in park, and push button and all the dash lights
flashed as long as I held the start button.  Did not crank.  Other electrical seems to work
fine - accessories, key fob, etc.  What to do?

4,215

Have you tried putting the shift selector into neutral and then try to start it ? It sounds like an electrical/switch problem in the starting system.

130

Ended up being a bad battery. The system knew not to try to start the car and drain the battery any more which would require re-programming all the software.

60

@jp1956 I love you. Put it on neutral and it worked!!

20

KirkH Thanks for suggestion. How did you re-programmed all the software?

60

Before you spend money call this number 1 (888) 234-2138 Honda Recall line. Provide them with your VIN number to see if your car has a recall in it. I am experiencing the same thing with my 2014 Honda EXL. I will be calling the dealership for them to schedule my appointment to have this problem fixed. Please know the first time will be a temporary fix by replacing your battery sensor. Once the factory figures out how to permanently fix it you will be notified again to bring your car back in for them to put permanent battery sensor on. Free both times. I hope this helps some one out. Vee, Raeford NC.

10

Veronica- Thank you for this valuable information! My husband and I stopped locally to fuel up. Afterward, we experienced this same issue with out 2013 Accord EX-L. We reviewed the manual but could find no reference to all the lights flashing simultaneously. My husband felt sure the problem was related to the battery, so he walked home to get our 2006 Civic (312,000 miles, LOL) and jumper cables. While I waited for his return, I discovered this forum and your post. I called the Honda Recall line, gave them my VIN, and indeed there is a new recall on my vehicle, exactly as you stated. We were able to jump the Accord and get it home. J will contact the dealership in the a.m. to set up an appt. for diagnostic on the battery sensor. Thank you for posting!

This happen to me as well (Accord 2013 EX-L V6) For the last month every second day the car did not start. The button light is green means that the ignition identify the remote (also the door open and close perfectly using the remote means the car read the signal, the remote work and the remote battery is good) The entire cluster light on, no issues beside... the engine do not start As I'm playing with the button (sometime for more then an hour) at some point the car just start, no special reason why... then it work perfect for a day or two and then break again. In the last week it take more time then previous times to get it working. I did not did the battery recall yet (my car is eligible for it), tonight I tow the car to the dealer as I gave up... Just checking (mainly Veronica and J) can you share what was done, how did you fix it, what was the cost and such...

Update: turn out to be a starter issue, replace a new started at the dealership ($750) all back to normal Starter cost is around $150-$200, labor if you have time is one hour max (you tube got a good video explaining how to) you can save $500

Just called Honda and as Veronica stated it was the battery sensor. well bring it to dealership tomorrow. Thanks Veronica for the post

50

I fixed it!! No cost!! No sweat!! It was getting bad and thought to walk home. Here's the answer: I have the key type 2013 Honda Accord. Turn key one notch and count to about 3. Turn key the next notch and wait for the lights on the dash to settle down and count to about 3. Start your car. I've tried it, and every time it worked. Spread the word.

This thread is for a push to start button but I'm happy this one worked for you.

10

Hey everyone, my car has been having the same starter issue. I got my recall notice, my Honda dealership fixed the battery sensor, however my car is still giving me this issue with my push start 2013 Accord EXL. So it is either not the battery sensor or the battery has been drained and should work upon new replacement. I want to know if anyone else got the battery sensor recall replacement, and is now not experiencing the starter issue? I'm thinking this recall may not be our solution.

In my case it was the starter it self, take a long rod and hit the starter, see if it works. https://youtu.be/ADo0ejQqm_E

10

I have been having this issue also; I don't believe it is related to the battery R/C because I had begun having the intermittent no-start issue before the dealer fixed the battery problem in July. I complained about the problem then, but they could not duplicate or diagnose it then. I have continued to have the problem and have now scheduled an appointment for this week as the problem occurred 2x this week. I have also noticed that when this happens, the light on the push button begins flashing. I wonder if there is a code associated with the number of times flashed -- I think it was '24'. I bought my 2013 as a Certified Pre-Owned only one year ago, but I'm loosing confidence in it now which I never did with my old '98 Camry which I replaced with this car.

30

My 2014 Accord Ex-L V6 auto is just recently having the push button start issues! It sounds like static. Then it doesn't start. After a few tries it starts! It does this intermittently. I hope Honda fixes this issue or I will switch to another AutoMaker. Im on my 9th Honda. No issues with any I've preowned with exception of my '03 Accord V6 Auto in which the transmission went out but covered under warranty.

50

The dealer says it's the starter, but it's not. It's a cheap ignition switch and I can prove it. If the plastic cover on the steering shaft is removed, it reveals the ignition switch. If you turn the key and tap the ignition switch with a wrench, it will start every time. Replacing the ignition switch won't help. It's just not beefy enough. They need to recall the switch with a beefier one.

10

My 2013 Honda Accord EX-L V4 was having the push button issue in July 2017. The Honda dealer I purchased it from new was unable to duplicate the issue. I took it to another Honda dealer who was also not able to duplicate the issue, although the lot porter who went to move it into the back for diagnostic experienced the very same issue......and then it started in a couple of minutes. I called American Honda Corporation and opened up a case. I was told to return to the last Honda dealer and have them diagnose the problem. I did that and they diagnosed the problem as the starter. With 62,000 miles on the odometer, the dealer wanted $853.00 parts and labor. American Honda Motor offered to handle it as a in-warranty claim and pay 90% of the what it would cost if under warranty. It cost me $70.00.

30

Damn, i'm having same issue, opened case and talked to Honda customer service out in California, the guy said there's nothing he could do cause i'm out of warranty. It expired in jun/july sometime. I have to set up an appt with Honda Locally to get diagnosed and fixed. I'm not happy. He told me to ask the dealership if they can offer some type of assistance. We will see if they do, I hate that this happened with my honda accord. Congrats on getting them to pay . How did you get them to pay for it out of warranty?

10

Can the battery sensor be responsible for the car not starting?

10

I’m having the same problems with my 2013 Honda Accord EXL. I took it to the Honda dealer and they were unable to duplicate the problem. They did address the recall issue. But now it is taking me up to ten attempts to get the car started. It is not the battery as I have replaced it recently. Plus all the dash lights come on.

10

Thank you ALL for this thread. I to have a 2013 Honda push start that intermittently won't start. I buy my parts from the dealership but my own mechanic installs them. I'm buying a battery sensor and starter TODAY. I am out of warrantee and I simply will NOT give the dealership $500+ of my money. Thanks for the "800" #, calling them today.

30

I have tried to do all of the above and still it will not start. My car is at Honda right now having the permanent item fixed regards to the recall, but as Honda claim, it is not the recall that is making my car not start. I feel like they’re just trying to get money out of me. Honda should really look into this because as I can see, there are a lot of us having this issue with our car. It’s ridiculous! I’ve only had this car for a year and it’s already giving me problems.

20

my car would not start all lights and radio worked. the dash area that displays the gear which i am in was displaying all gears at the same time. so it looked as if DRP and S were all displayed on top of each other. The modular that communicates with their computers was just loading for ever so that had to manually search for the problem. After 5 hours of multiple technicians trying to diagnosis the car the found out that the car had a bad ground wire. graciously they charged me $100 for finding this easy fix.

10

Are your cars starting properly in the cold? New alternator, good battery, car WON'T start.

10

Might be the started, for my car, they said my starter died. That's just ridiculous because it's still a pretty new car. I mean 2013? Come on? But it might be that. My car doesn't have an issue starting my car after I changed out the starter. Thank god for my free power training warranty with walser and my roadside assistance with Geico.

10

My 2013 Accord is having the same problem. It's not the battery recall, I've had that done. It's not the battery, I put in a new one. A mechanic told me it is not the starter, that it's the "throat" whatever that means. I'm having Honda take a look at it today.

Just picked my 2013 Honda Crosstour from the dealership after suffering from the same issue. When I pushed the start button, all electrical came on but the engine didn't turn over. The brake lights did not come on when the pedal was pushed. They found a loose connection between 2 wires in the brake circuit. The connection is under the kickplate in the drivers side floorboard. The technician unplugged it, plugged in back in and it has started every time. The loose connection was causing the fuse to blow which prevented the brake switch from operating and the car from starting. Hope this helps!

Went to start my 2013 4cyl Honda’s Accord today and all I got was a ticking noise. All the lights and radio were still working, which didn’t happen when I drained the battery before. Jumpstarted it and it seems to be working now. It hesitated to start a few weeks back and with the second try it started. Still need to take it in for the battery recap that is out. But from the sounds of it that isn’t going to fix it. Just replaced the batter just over a year ago. I had the battery tested tonight and it was just fine. Could this be a starter issue?

Quick question for the people that changed the battery did you replace it with the same battery ? Ive heard that the 410 cca is not sufficient power for the car of this size. I checked and my 2012 civic has 475 cca and considering this is an accord it should have more power. I just had the same problem waiting to hear back from the dealer. 2013 v4 honda accord