2013 Honda Accord: when I try to start it, all the dash lights flash and it isn't cranking.

100

Asked by Jun 20, 2015 at 04:13 AM about the 2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 w/ Nav

Drove 2013 Honda Accord home from work.  Parked in drive, ran inside, and when I came
out, it wouldn't start.  Foot on brake, in park, and push button and all the dash lights
flashed as long as I held the start button.  Did not crank.  Other electrical seems to work
fine - accessories, key fob, etc.  What to do?

3,655

Have you tried putting the shift selector into neutral and then try to start it ? It sounds like an electrical/switch problem in the starting system.

100

Ended up being a bad battery. The system knew not to try to start the car and drain the battery any more which would require re-programming all the software.

40

@jp1956 I love you. Put it on neutral and it worked!!

KirkH Thanks for suggestion. How did you re-programmed all the software?

30

Before you spend money call this number 1 (888) 234-2138 Honda Recall line. Provide them with your VIN number to see if your car has a recall in it. I am experiencing the same thing with my 2014 Honda EXL. I will be calling the dealership for them to schedule my appointment to have this problem fixed. Please know the first time will be a temporary fix by replacing your battery sensor. Once the factory figures out how to permanently fix it you will be notified again to bring your car back in for them to put permanent battery sensor on. Free both times. I hope this helps some one out. Vee, Raeford NC.

Veronica- Thank you for this valuable information! My husband and I stopped locally to fuel up. Afterward, we experienced this same issue with out 2013 Accord EX-L. We reviewed the manual but could find no reference to all the lights flashing simultaneously. My husband felt sure the problem was related to the battery, so he walked home to get our 2006 Civic (312,000 miles, LOL) and jumper cables. While I waited for his return, I discovered this forum and your post. I called the Honda Recall line, gave them my VIN, and indeed there is a new recall on my vehicle, exactly as you stated. We were able to jump the Accord and get it home. J will contact the dealership in the a.m. to set up an appt. for diagnostic on the battery sensor. Thank you for posting!

This happen to me as well (Accord 2013 EX-L V6) For the last month every second day the car did not start. The button light is green means that the ignition identify the remote (also the door open and close perfectly using the remote means the car read the signal, the remote work and the remote battery is good) The entire cluster light on, no issues beside... the engine do not start As I'm playing with the button (sometime for more then an hour) at some point the car just start, no special reason why... then it work perfect for a day or two and then break again. In the last week it take more time then previous times to get it working. I did not did the battery recall yet (my car is eligible for it), tonight I tow the car to the dealer as I gave up... Just checking (mainly Veronica and J) can you share what was done, how did you fix it, what was the cost and such...

Update: turn out to be a starter issue, replace a new started at the dealership ($750) all back to normal Starter cost is around $150-$200, labor if you have time is one hour max (you tube got a good video explaining how to) you can save $500

Just called Honda and as Veronica stated it was the battery sensor. well bring it to dealership tomorrow. Thanks Veronica for the post

I fixed it!! No cost!! No sweat!! It was getting bad and thought to walk home. Here's the answer: I have the key type 2013 Honda Accord. Turn key one notch and count to about 3. Turn key the next notch and wait for the lights on the dash to settle down and count to about 3. Start your car. I've tried it, and every time it worked. Spread the word.

This thread is for a push to start button but I'm happy this one worked for you.

Hey everyone, my car has been having the same starter issue. I got my recall notice, my Honda dealership fixed the battery sensor, however my car is still giving me this issue with my push start 2013 Accord EXL. So it is either not the battery sensor or the battery has been drained and should work upon new replacement. I want to know if anyone else got the battery sensor recall replacement, and is now not experiencing the starter issue? I'm thinking this recall may not be our solution.

In my case it was the starter it self, take a long rod and hit the starter, see if it works. https://youtu.be/ADo0ejQqm_E

10

I have been having this issue also; I don't believe it is related to the battery R/C because I had begun having the intermittent no-start issue before the dealer fixed the battery problem in July. I complained about the problem then, but they could not duplicate or diagnose it then. I have continued to have the problem and have now scheduled an appointment for this week as the problem occurred 2x this week. I have also noticed that when this happens, the light on the push button begins flashing. I wonder if there is a code associated with the number of times flashed -- I think it was '24'. I bought my 2013 as a Certified Pre-Owned only one year ago, but I'm loosing confidence in it now which I never did with my old '98 Camry which I replaced with this car.

10

My 2014 Accord Ex-L V6 auto is just recently having the push button start issues! It sounds like static. Then it doesn't start. After a few tries it starts! It does this intermittently. I hope Honda fixes this issue or I will switch to another AutoMaker. Im on my 9th Honda. No issues with any I've preowned with exception of my '03 Accord V6 Auto in which the transmission went out but covered under warranty.

The dealer says it's the starter, but it's not. It's a cheap ignition switch and I can prove it. If the plastic cover on the steering shaft is removed, it reveals the ignition switch. If you turn the key and tap the ignition switch with a wrench, it will start every time. Replacing the ignition switch won't help. It's just not beefy enough. They need to recall the switch with a beefier one.

My 2013 Honda Accord EX-L V4 was having the push button issue in July 2017. The Honda dealer I purchased it from new was unable to duplicate the issue. I took it to another Honda dealer who was also not able to duplicate the issue, although the lot porter who went to move it into the back for diagnostic experienced the very same issue......and then it started in a couple of minutes. I called American Honda Corporation and opened up a case. I was told to return to the last Honda dealer and have them diagnose the problem. I did that and they diagnosed the problem as the starter. With 62,000 miles on the odometer, the dealer wanted $853.00 parts and labor. American Honda Motor offered to handle it as a in-warranty claim and pay 90% of the what it would cost if under warranty. It cost me $70.00.

10

Damn, i'm having same issue, opened case and talked to Honda customer service out in California, the guy said there's nothing he could do cause i'm out of warranty. It expired in jun/july sometime. I have to set up an appt with Honda Locally to get diagnosed and fixed. I'm not happy. He told me to ask the dealership if they can offer some type of assistance. We will see if they do, I hate that this happened with my honda accord. Congrats on getting them to pay . How did you get them to pay for it out of warranty?

Can the battery sensor be responsible for the car not starting?