Are my winter tires usable?

Asked by Dec 02, 2013 at 05:12 PM about the 2013 Honda Accord Sport

Hi,I recently bought a 2013 Honda Accord Sport and the car came with 225/45R18
tires. I was told that I can down size the rim for winter and everything would be okay, I
ended up buying 235/60R17S ..but when I put on the new rim I noticed that the nuts did
not tighten all the way on the bolts. Also when i tightened it as much as possible and
lowered the car the wheel made a cracking noise and I saw a bit of smoke coming from
the nut. I quickly switched the rim back to the original.Has anyone ever had this
problem? Can it be fixed by buying another set of nuts that are bigger than the ones
that came with the car?

So you bought tires and rims on advice..?? Sounds like you got had... the rims were fine, you may could have changed tires for lot less money..IMHO

Where ya livin' dare~?

the icy wonderland where you get the Alberta clipper (like you're about to get) in Minnesota or North Dakota, would say get the best damned ice tire that you can get~

yes you cracked the aluminum...get a new set~

What Judge say....this time be careful to tighten top to bottom and in a cross pattern . make sure you start them with fingers too...

thanks for replying all, but I double checked the rims, they are not cracked .. the real problem is that the nuts that i have were tightened all the way but weren't long enough to connect to the new rims I got .. do you guys know if I can buy longer nuts?

I'd drive out the old studs and get new ones...possibly longer if that's the way you want to go~

the grade of steel...normally grade five...but if you're a'll seek out grade 11 nuts~___ ts

I'm with roy......I would bet you have damage to the threads if you saw smoke. you used a impact wrench I take it.??

thanks for your reply, just another question .. is it okay that I am changing/using these new tires on my car? again the original size was 225/45R18 and the new size is 235/60R17S

Better be safe than sorry..........DO IT RIGHT. what ever you do

I used a hand wrench .. the one that came with my car

Wow.....they have to be stretched at must be a Big guy !!! Just think on it and get it checked by someone you trust. New ones would be the BEST bet. Good luck Sir.

As far as your tire size....the wider 45's would be best...the 60's are a bit narrower but will work. The more tread on the ground the better the traction...

anything other than the size indicated on the Door Jamb will be incorrect, as the suspension and clearances and travel are all engineered around this size...furthermore the insurance company would certainly like to know that you've deviated from the specified size~

use a "clicker" torque wrench...they are not that expensive...titanium aluminum wheels are not tightened as much many feature a "sleeve" to take the compression of tightening...failure point....~ cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Hand%20Tools-_-Wrenches- _-38414&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=38414&gclid=CM2q7u_dkrsCFYhcMg odSQIANA big need longer studs..kinda fun to replace...."whakAmol"~ alloy+wheels

understanding your tire size~