2.7 Intrepid overheating. Not heads, not water pump, not thermostat, not air in coolant...??!

10

Asked by Dec 27, 2014 at 02:13 PM about the 2001 Dodge Intrepid SE

Overheating after about 15 mins driving it.
No heat now. No leaks or coolant loss
though. Mechanic put in new thermostat.
Said he doesn't think it's a water pump
because it's not leaking or head gasket as
oil is clean and no smoke from tail pipe. I
talked to a friend at work that has had a few
intrepids and said try bleeding the air from
the coolant system because it difficult to
get air out being a pressurized system. But
haven't got anywhere with it as coolant
doesn't go down from the reservoir, not
mechanically inclined. Would a coolant
flush be worth it? Radiator/fans seem to be
working fine...? Not sure where to go from
here? Please help?!

14,030

yes, a coolant flush is worth it. you will have to bleed the system afterwards. If you suspect a head gasket, there is a definitive test known as a combustion leak test. It is a radiator test kit that can be purchased for about 40 bucks. If you don't like mechanic work, this is not a place to start. have the work done by a pro.

123,885

No heat. You mean when car heats up you have no heat blowing thru the vents? If so this is typically a sign of an air pocket in the cooling system. Must use proper bleeding/burping procedures to remove all the air.

10

Yes there's air blowing from the vents but it's not hot. However the first couple times I worked on the car (When I had the Thermostat put in) there was heat from the vents but not anymore.

Try flush heater core hoses research how to on you tube awesome people showing u how to on there my husbands a welder and he did it so u can to and flush radiator we just did this and u can now cook with the heat that comes out the heater

60

Had same problem with my dodge intrepid. It was two flow valves behind the water pump that was plugged. It took them over two days to figure it out. Ever since they got them unplugged never had any more problems. So I hope everyone gets this message this will help the over heating problem. Good luck.

60

Also forgot to add had everything changed. Water pump and coolant. He was a dodge certification mechanic. He called dodge and that's how he figured it out. They told him to check them two flow valves. Sure enough that's what it was. So I hope all you dodge owners with this over heating problem gets this message. My car runs like a champ now.

10

HOW MUCH DID COST TO CHEK THE 2 FLOW VALVES?