2001 Chysler Intrepid SE 3.5L will not start

25

Asked by Dec 07, 2013 at 08:46 PM about the 2001 Dodge Intrepid SE

Car starts when it wants to i changed the starter, starter fuse and checked the wires. no luck, repair shop said they don't know what it can be. Battery is working good but when I try to start the car it will not turn over (no noise at all) running out of money PLEASE HELP!!!

Yes, well the 1/0 battery cable connection to ground needs to be smartened up with a wirebrush...the lug and chassis too....get them comfortable with 300 cold cranking amps...here and the connection to the engine block (near the alternator) get them all free of corrosion and shiny and put them back.....SOLID ground will make the computer happy.....is it really necessary to put little holes in people for all the blood to leak out of?...I'm just sayin'~

2,535

Has anyone checked the starter relay? Fuses don't fail intermittently... They either work as-intended, or they burn out and the system is inoperative until it's replaced. Relays are cheap and easy to check off on your list.... Find the starter relay, it's probably in the fuse block under the hood, then look at the other relays...there's usually a few in there for the important systems. If the part numbers match and the spaded connections are the same, swap two of them (remember which ones!) and see what happens. Also as mentioned, check the cables and battery posts for tightness and corrosion...clean up as needed.

25

yes I replaced the starter relay.

2,535

I'm assuming all of the connections have been cleaned up as judge_roy said above...because that car has a remotely mounted battery, in the fender I believe, and it has cables running from it to a jumper post mounted on one of the strut towers (thick wire running to a stud, probably with a red plastic cover with a + on it)... Assuming it has no factory alarm system and that has been checked, it may need an ignition switch/lock cylinder. If you try to jump-start it with cables or a jump box, does it click or anything at all? Have you tried starting it with a different key, if you have a spare? Try jiggling the key as well while you hold it forward in the "Start" position. Then, use your free hand to tap or smack the side of the lock cylinder..obviously don't go ape scat and break the plastic, but just enough to see if it may have an intermittent connection failure in the ignition switch assembly. Finally, you can put a digital voltmeter at the starter itself and look for power and ground....