my power steering pump is new an the fluid is bubbling an when wheel is turned it overflows?

140

Asked by Feb 19, 2013 at 03:20 PM about the 2001 Dodge Intrepid SE

i replaced the power steering pump. now the fluid just bubbles an when wheel is turned it overflows.

It will bubble as it bleeds itself with normal operation. No other bleeding needed, but you may have over filled it, if you put too much fluid in, especially cold, it will overflow when hot. I don't think you have anything to worry about

140

it does it when it iscold or warm i let it run an turn wheel to see if fluid is going anywheres an it just flows out. i was told that it may be a bad pump but i bought that new from the parts store

Oh, Ok. I didn't understand that was why you put another pump on to begin with. Does it turn easily...as in pump and slave cylinder work?

Or do I still misunderstand? Why did you change pumps to begin with?

140

i changed it cause there was a whining noice. an now it growls an whines when it turns. its worst than it was before i changed it

Well, you had the right idea. That is the symptom of a bad pump, I am running out of ideas, other than it is not unheard of that a 'new' or rebuilt pump straight out of the box be bad. If it's one in a thousand, which is conservative, possibly you got that one. Sorry Korey, that I'm no more help than that but there are other guys hopefully will take a look at this.

140

ok thanks if someone else can help it would be much appreciatated

21,365

the overflow may be expansion of fluid from bubbles ,and whine may be airated fluid and is it possible a return hose is sucking air in while in service?

140

now would that be the small hose or the pressure hose there is only two hose an i replaced the o-rings on the pressure line an the small hose has a clamp on it an connected to reservior

21,365

the clamped hose would be low pressure,and if you got an o ring squesed blocking flow/ ,that i dont know if that would act like thiss/

This is a tough one eh jimmy? I have never seen it happen, that's why I'm stumped fellas

140

i was told to jack up front end an start engine an turn wheel back an forth a few times. does that help. i was thinking it helps by taking stress off from tires an moves fluid better through the system. my friend ask if i bled the system an thats how he told me to do it

140

was told the pump was bad. gonna change it again an go from there. will update on how it goes

Please do, I am interested. I disagree about jacking it up, simply not necessary just drive it. And it has happened to me on my Town Car I had until a couple years ago I bought a rebuilt P/s pump that was bad right out of the box, had to put on yet another, AutoZone exchanged it free I had it back to them in 2 hours. The third one was fine, fortunately on that car it is not difficult at all to change the pump

140

i put a new pump in it on sunday an everything is going just fine. no more power steering problems. now on to a o2 sensor an a evap leak. yeah it wasnt that bad after the first time of taking it apart.

30

Hey there here my problem with power steering. It difficult when turning.

20

So did it fix by the new pump meaning was the one you had just put on bad? I have a Ford Taurus and it's doing the same .could it be the rack and pinion? Please give me feedback. ..