2001 Dodge Intrepid timing problem

10

Asked by Feb 11, 2011 at 08:17 AM about the 2001 Dodge Intrepid SE

I have a 3.5 Intrepid.  The water pump was replaced.  Now when I start the car it runs
and idles poorly.  I have to reposition the cam sensor slightly and re-tighten it to
make the car run and idle smooth.  I shut the key off and re start and the problem
returns until I reposition the cam sensor again.  Is this thing possessed or what?  WTF
is going on with it?

12,125

Sounds like the timing belt is improperly installed over the water pump

10

I inherited this problem from another mechanic and the owner told me the initial problem was the car overheated. When I got the car it would barely run, so I reset the timing belt. I have the marks on the cam between the two marks on the head. If the belt is installed wrong then why does it run OK when I move the cam sensor slightly? if the belt were installed incorrectly wouldn't the engine run poorly all the time? After I move the cam sensor slightly this thing runs like a top, after shutdown then re start it runs like crap again UNTIL I jiggle the cam sensor. (It's new) Could the programming in the computer be forgetting the timing after shutdown?

12,125

If the removed sensor is reinstalled, completely remove the old spacer from the sensor face. Attach a NEW SPACER to the face of the sensor before installation. If installing a new sensor, confirm that the paper spacer is attached to the face.

10

Makes sense. I'll give it a go