heat only comes out of vents on sides not from center vents or floor or the rear

15

Asked by Jan 23, 2014 at 01:18 AM about the 2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD

very frustrated just bought a used 2001 Durango and with this cold weather the heat doesn't work properly. When I put the heat on I only get warm air from the vents on the front dash closest to the doors. The vents in middle of dash blow cold air, the air coming down on the feet is cold and I get no warm air from the rear vents above the back seats...has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas... I also have another question about a sound that car makes when driving

3,190

Sounds like a blend door inside the heater box is stuck. Maybe the car sat for a long time and a critter made a nest in there. Ive seen that more than a few times. Unfortunately if that's the case, the entire dash has to be removed to fix it.

15

Thanks Michael, Before I go ripping out the dash let me add this for you or anybody else. When I put the heat on the rush of air still comes out of all the vents but it's cold air from the vent near the center of the dash and floor and into the back seat area from the vents up top over the back seats. And only warm air is coming from the vents on the each side of the dash. It's also not very hot just kind of warm. This is what is making me kind of crazy I hear to have somebody rip out the dash and start messing around could wind up being a $600-900 job

3,190

Theres a couple easy things you can do to try to fix this. First is making sure the coolant level is full. With the engine cold, open the radiator and fill it completely up to the level of the radiator cap. I mean the radiator itself NOT the coolant reservoir. Secondly, find the two metal lines that pass over the middle of the engine. At the drivers side of the engine, the connect to rubber hoses which go back to the firewall. Those are your heater hoses. Again with the engine cold, disconnect them from the pipes that run across the engine. Let whats in there drain out, then, if its warm enough where you live, run a garden hose to one of the hoses and point the other hose to the ground. Turn on the water until theres a good amount of water pressure. Let the water flow through the hoses and heater core for several minutes, then put the garden hose in the other heater hose and repeat. This is called flushing the heater core. If its too cold to run water outside (at least 40 degrees to be safe), you can disconnect the heater hoses and blow through them to try to clear them out. I mean really blow hard. Again keep the other hose pointed at the ground. Hook them back up to the pipes and top off the radiator. Try your heat again.

15

WOW! Michael you are awesome thanks for pointing me in the right directions when it gets a little warmer that's what I'm going to do! I'm up in PA and we got that whole polar vortex thing going on so it's in the single digits now

3,190

The same here in CT

2,595

The 2001 came with electrical motors that change the direction where you want to get the air out and to change between hot and cold air. there are five motors that do this for you, you can take the one out that is the most easy to remove, only two screws, on the drivers side just above gas pedal and move every button on the heater from window down to feet and from hot to cold and if the motor does not move you most likely have a blown fuse.