who can help me?

10

Asked by Jun 24, 2012 at 02:14 AM about the 2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD

my 01 durango seems to not have full acceleration/power durring the hotter parts of the day and my clutch fan roars super loud..yet at night/cooler parts of the day it has much more power and acceleration with no roar, my RPM's dont seem to run noticeably higher when the fan roars..so is it the clutch fan, or could something else be causing this?

236,805

Well if the fan clutch was bad.........To do so, with the engine OFF, spin the fan/fan clutch assembly, it should turn about 1/2 to a full turn and no more. If it doesn't spin at all, the bearing is shot and you'll need a new one. If it does look at the small coil spring on the front of the clutch. This is used to compensate the loosness of the clutch and how well it spins when the engine is cooler or warmer. This can get dirty and contaminated, so maybe if you clean that it would work better? If your replacing it, replace with the exact one, whether it is a thermatic or Non-thermatic clutch. I'm not sure what the Durango uses. A thermatic clutch will have that coil spring on the front of the clutch, an non-thermatic doesn't.

18,205

how hot is the truck getting according to the gauge? I do know when the fan is engaged it puts drag on the motor which equals less power, also AC on will make it slower. Make sure it's not overheating, and as long as the fan is still switching from locked (the roaring noise) to loose (no roar) then is should be good and working as intended.