Sunroof glass breaking

Asked by Feb 15, 2014 at 12:49 AM about the 2013 Lincoln MKT 3.5 EcoBoost AWD

A couple days ago, while driving on the highway in my 2013 Lincoln MKT, i hear a
sudden explosion from the top of the car.  The sunroof towards the front of the car
exploded . There were no vehicles infront of me or behind me.  It was clearly not
damage caused by my surroundings or previous damage. The dealer took a picture of
my broken glass and sent it to Ford but it was denied so it is going to cost to repair
about $1750

I've heard of this happening on some Ford back hatch glass. I personally think the issue is from the extreme of being hot inside the car and cold on the outside and a possible defect in the glass. You can try contacting a auto glass place in your area and see if they would complete the repair for less $$$$$. I'm sure you can also report this incident to your insurance company and it would be covered under comprehensive and all you would do is pay your deductible.

We have a corporate car service in which our fleet includes 5 MKT (2013-2014) and in the last 3 months we have had 3 sunroofs suddenly crack for no apparent reason in the same fashion as described above by Samwattar. The first one happenned after owning the vehicle for 14 months and the last 2 happenned on the same vehicle, purchased in Dec 2013, once on Feb 15th & the last one today, April 23rd, 2014. Today's incident has me outraged because there was no extreme cold weather (55 degrees F). I believe this sunroof is a design issue which Ford is trying to keep in the wraps. The solution would be to stop building these outrageous sunroofs that provide no purpose other than to look at the sky.

St Thomas Gospelchoir

Lincoln Town Car 2014-Same thing just happened to me in a rental car. Just driving and heard an explosion. Looked up and the sunroof is shattered. Immediately closed the cover. Meanwhile tiny peices of glass all over the inside of car, on clothes, embedded in my shaved head. Nothing made the glass break, weather is 75 degrees, no one else around.

last night. same thing. 2014 lincoln mkt. 2 months old. it has just exploded and shattered. but its still there and you can see that nothing has hit it. i took it to the dealership right away.And Ford Lincoln in Riverhead NY just ruined my day. I have spent the whole day there and on the phone with Ford representatives. All are denying it could brake by itself. they want to run it through my insurance and im not ready to pay 1000 deductible. There is no my fault only Fords poor design. if anybody knows a decent lawyer to handle this right please shoot me a text at 6318719252. For so much stress and financial loss from car not being put to work i will definitely take those bastards to court.

We are a fleet customer and have purchased 6 MKT sedans, we just had our 1st roof explode on a 2014 MKT that is only 3 months old. There was no car in front of us when this happened at 40 miles an hour. it is the front glass over the driver & front passenger. I'm waiting for ford to step to the plate !!!

My name is Terrence and my wife and I were driving to work on friday the March 27, 2015 with the sunroof half open when suddenly I heard and explosion. I though I was back in Iraq. I looked around and didn't see anyone or anything other than the cars at the intersection. My wife said to look up at the roof and to my amazement the entire roof had exploded. I call my insurance and start the claim process and took the vehicle back home to prevent rain damage. I have reported to Lincoln and they said there are no recalls on the roofs. It looks as though they are passing the buck on this clearly defective glass. So now I will pursue Legal action for imagine if my wife had been driving by herself. She could have freaked out and had and accident. Its clear Lincoln will not honor the repairs without getting their attention through legal action. This was clear from the conversation with the Consumer Department. AS of right now there are Zero recallson this product. My advice to all is to call Lincoln and flood them with repoort or there will be no action taken. Do not take this in the pocket, these vehicles cost a lot of money and we deserve a good product. This is sad and speaks bad on Lincoln. I will dump this thing as soon as I get a chance.

Ammar Moussa

Ma name is ammar and I drive Lincoln mkt 2014,today while I was driving I heard cracking noise from the top of my vehicle and when I stopped and locked it was the front of the top glass I called ford to see if it is covered by them but they said it wasn't covered because it has over 100000 miles I think it should be covered by the manufacturer

Teddy McGraw

Dec 24 2015. Same thing happened to us. No point of impact -- just BOOM and then it started shattering. No way are we taking responsibility for this and paying a $1000 deductible. Lincoln obviously has a problem! AZ Lady

On 4-27 we were on I-10, with no one around us and heard a very loud explosion and heard air rushing- I pulled of at an exit and found about 2 t0 3 inches of glass shattered all around the edges of our front sunroof on 2013 Lincoln MKX, Lincoln dealer claimed impact, even though no one around. They refused to honor warranty(25,950 miles and less than 2 years in service)

My name is Robert from Fort Lee,NJ. Today on 06/11/216,... I had the same situation with my '13 Lincoln MKT Black/Black with the Livery Package. I drove my Clients to JF Kennedy Airport at 4:00 am in the Morning and all of a sudden " KABOOOM" it felt like someone shoot the Sunroof Glass with the freaking Assault Rifle it was a scary and freaky situation,my Clients freaked out. After that I called Lincoln Motor Company to address the Issue,some Lady answered the Phone and she said that there's no recall or any coverage on the glass above or the Sunroof. I think this a bad Design and Ford Motor Co. Who actually builds the Lincoln's they should fix this big Problem that they have. Seems like this is a common issue with these Vehicles and they do not want any part of it. Ohhh well,I have to hire my Attorney now to tKe a Legal Action because I ain't paying for this a one Penny!!! I already spend lots of Money on this piss of Shit! We all should take action together against the company and the more we get Info here on this tread the better for all of us. This must stop and be addressed to the Higher Level. Please copy this whole Link and send it to Lincoln and Ford Motor Co. As I'm doing the same here! Tnx a lot!!!! Good Luck!!!

0 2/ Follow this Video with similar Damage or the same like in our Situations with the Sudden Exploding Sunroofs caused by nothing while Driving a Car.