Help me please

10

Asked by May 31, 2015 at 08:26 PM about the 2001 Dodge Caravan Sport

I need help with my 2001 dodge grand caravan. Its blowing black smoke from
the exhaust and its sputtering really bad. It will drive but it drives terribly and
only goes 20 mph. Please help. This is my only way of going. I've had egr
valave replaced ,new fuel filter, caddilaic converter removed . I'm nearly out of
money and don't know where to turn or who to ask. Drove it for 45 minutes
yesterday thought it was fixed after replacing egr valve then on way home its
started again

86,615

Go by a parts store that can scan for the computer codes, write them down and repost back here. Black smoke is usually a fuel rich mixture, could be an O2 sensor or a fuel pressure regulator, but need codes before going any further.

10

Went back by part store on way home last night and only code that came up was p0401 which was egr they said which has been replaced

86,615

Have you done the ECM reset yet? If not you should do it everytime any repairs are completed. You can reset it by removing the negative battery cable and turning on the headlight switch for about a minute, the turn off the headlight switch, reconnect the negative cable and the start the engine, let the idle stabilize and then drive it as you normally would, if it still blows black smoke then the problem is in the fuel delivery system and should be done by someone that knows what they are doing due to possible fuel leaking during the procedure.

445

Check for either fuel pressure regulator / very high fuel pressures, or shorted temperature sensor

445

Also a fuel injector could be stuck open, have a not running fuel pressure leak down test performed on vehicle

10

No have not done ecm reset yet but done at home code test by key on key off etc and p1684 p0508 p0403 p 0135 popped up

86,615

So the only one that really is related to your problem is the p0135 O2 heater, check the O2 heater fuse, if the heater shorted then it would have blown the fuse, you should also pull the sensor itself and check it out, it could be fuel fouled, due to the rich condition, still I would take it in to someone you trust.

10

Thanks for all our answers, him going try all the things you have mentioned