Covering Wiring Harness in 2001 Dodge Caravan

10

Asked by Oct 30, 2016 at 04:52 PM about the 2001 Dodge Caravan SE

Hello!  I'm hoping I can get a bit of help here.  Last winter both my front and rear windshield washer motors stopped working.  Took my mechanics 4 1/2 hours to find the problem (I thought i might be the motor, but there are 2, one for the front and one for the rear)  Anyway, they said that my wiring harness is deteriorating and that wire was the one affected.  Gave me about 6 months until the van stopped running completely.  
I run a rabbit rescue and when they showed me the wiring, I could tell it was chewed by the cottontails out where I live (not my rabbits - I care for domestics!)  IS there any way that I could put some kind of covering over the harness to protect it this winter?  It looks like there was was some kind of cover on it that has been chewed off.
Thanks for any help, and by the way, the 6 months was over 5 months ago and so far the van is running well!

56,775

Yes, you can buy plastic wire loom at your local auto parts store. They'll have different sizes that you can see to determine what size you need. If they have to order it, tell them about how many wires in the "bunch" you want to protect and what they're for. They should be able to gauge the right size wire loom for you. Then visit your local pet store and ask for Bitter Apple Dog Repellent spray. Apply the spray to the new wire looms to keep the critters away from the wires. It's nontoxic but animals hate the smell of it. I have to spray the power cords in my house with it to keep my Maine Coon cat from chewing on them. Works like a charm! HTH. -Jim

10

Thanks Js08016! I've had about 8 different mechanics tell me I cannot cover the wires whatsever, so I'm glad I can do it before it gets too cold out. And I work as a veterinary assistant, so I can get the Bitter Apple no problem. And I never thought to use that - what a great idea! Thanks again!

56,775

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim