at startup the first time you turn the wheels they squeel but goes away after that, especially bad in the winter

10

Asked by Jul 10, 2013 at 02:45 PM about the 2002 Dodge Stratus SE

The first time I turn the wheels after starting the car the front wheels squeel. Especially bad in the winter when the are almost impossible to turn but once turned the sqeal goes away.

254,235

Sounds like you need new tie-rod ends.

10

Sounds legit! Any idea what that might cost?

254,235

Tie-rod ends are $25-$45 a piece and labor to install, plus alignment. call around some local shops for prices and diagnosis, as it might be something else, but tie-rods is my best guess.

10

Thanks. Appreciate your help!

100,315

Are you talking about a belt squeal on intial start up? Or a noise coming from the front wheels while moving just after start up?

10

I do get some belt squeal in the winter but I know I'm about due to replace my serpentine belt and that will cure the problem. The real squeal is at start up the first time you turn the wheels right or left they sqeal like a greased pig. After once though it goes away. Again mostly in the winter and they are hard to turn that first time but drives like a charm after that and you will never hear a thing. Sometimes I think it gets water freezing somewhere in the front end but did get an answer they thought it was the tie rod ends.

100,315

Ok, it could be tie rod ends but it also could be the strut bearing t in the upper strut mounting plate, or a bad rack and pinion control valve. Might try flushing the power steering system first as that will be the cheapest.

10

You could be right as I have thought it was something to do with the struts as I know dodges are famous for the bushings drying up and that is why I thought it might be getting water in there and freezing and that is why it only did it once in the morning and after the intial turn goes away. Just want to make sure I have all opinions before I take it in as I don't want to have somebody tell me it's the transaxle or something and soak me for a fortune. Thanks!