My car runs and shifts fine but if I rev it up to about 5k rpms it stutters shudders and wants to die losses the rpms if I push it and try to hold the rpms it will die and stall out

20

Asked by Oct 16, 2014 at 03:21 AM about the 2002 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe

02 dodge stratus r/t standard
transmission 3.0L v6 140k miles it
shifts fine and I can drive it around in
first gear and reverse just fine but in
the higher gears/rpms the car losses
power and has no get up and go

11,205

This could be a case where the catalytic converter is plugged. Higher RMP = more exhaust. With the poor flow through the cat there is nowhere for the exhaust to go creating too much back pressure causing your stalling condition. That is where I would start.

20

I did a little bit more digging after my check engine light came on yesterday obd2 says p0500 also looked close rpms idle under 1k won't rev up past 2.5k at 2.5k car starts to choke and stutter and die ...if I hold gas to floor it will kill the motor..the car does have a cracked radiator I'm replacing that as well as spark plugs plug wires and speed sensor ie error code...Could these be the reason for the problems car is having

20

Still need help

11,205

Yes, a speed sensor could possibly limit your vehicle's RPM limiter. This would certainly fit the description of the problem you are having. Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0500