2002 dodge neon sputtering feels like wants to die and takes off real slow. when reversing its real bad sputtering and when stopped at light it starts ideling real bad snd sputtering again

40

Asked by Oct 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM about the 2002 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SE Sedan

1,405

could be a lot of things, sounds to be missing for sure. i'd start with spark plugs, spark plug wires, and a new coil pack. if none of those seem to help, have a shop do a compression test on all cylinders.

375

What he said ^ more than likely its plugs, wires, and coil.

9,395

I would assume you have a check engine light. Have you had the code pulled yet? It will help lead you in the general direction... I have to agree with the above though. Most likely just needs a tune-up.

40

I have no engine light on went to get codes pulled anyways and not a single code came up and the gas mileage is horrible.

8,165

no check engine light seems strange, seems something would be a miss...hard to say with out seeing it, experiencing it, have you got it resolved yet?

40

no have not gotten it fixed as of yet ready to get a can of can and a match.....

40

can of gas i meant to say

8,165

ahaha, I know the frustration....have the positive battery cable off of the battery, and touch the cable to the negative, (nothing will happen, it is safe), and leave it there for 30 seconds or so, that will completely reset all the computers in the car. if one is having a "glitch", or issue, this should free it up., No check engine light means that every single computer is working properly, or the light was removed previously, either way, a severe mechanical failure such as this, should show up...personally thinking a vacuum leak, or something similiar, may i ask what state you are in?

40

i live in cheyenne wyoming what about you if you dont mind my asking

8,165

Connecticut...too far a distance, lol, too many computers to guess at. which is why the reset would help so much.try that and let me know if anything changes.

1,405

since you threw gas mileage in there, it could be the upstream o2 sensor as well.

8,165

yes, but justin it is possible to have a mechanical failure, which is a problem, not picked up by any computer system, an 02 sensor, is still a sensor, and would throw a code...

25

You Most Likely Need A Tune up But You Should Check For A Vacumm Leak. It Sounds Like Nothing But You Would Be Surprise What A Simple Vacumm Leak Would Do to A Neon

6,275

Anybody think either maybe timing is off or there is a burnt valve? it is possible for an injector to have an irratic spray patern and burn a valve seat.

9,395

Honestly Chris.. It really could be anything. Anything from bad gas to a catastrophic mechanical failure. Seriously though, 9 times out of ten if you car just starts running rough, it is usually caused due to the lack of maintenance (ie: tune up needed, cracked vacuum lines (vacuum leak in general), clogged cat, etc).

20

My neon does the same. At first it had codes for a misfire so I replaced to coil, plugs, and the wires. Then it started reading bad camshaft position sensor, so I replaced that. Now I have no codes but it still runs and idles rough.

They had to put another ignition switch that's when the problem started.my radio works sometime

ive been told by 4 ppl its the TPS sensor. i havent chaged it yet but i got the same car and same problem. cpu said random misfires only on 3 different readers.

hmm having the same issue the CEL came on said it was cam sensor replaced it reset engine light, problem improved. will try battery reset.

tps sensor should still throw a code.

I have a 2001 neon was doing the same thing no power and no code. I changed spark plugs and air filter and plug wires and now its running fine again. hope this helps someone...

20

Anyone try the coolant temp sensor?

20

Stephen did that problem got better but in a few days went back to doing what it was doing.

20

I have manuel 05 neon 2.0L . Sometimes runs great, others like it's trash!! For instance it fires up nice, sounds A1 Ill go 4_5 stoplights.then when taking off, it does not want to go.reving up it sounds like the RPMs are dissing but shows that they never exceed 2xxx-25xxx it takes off slowly like it wants to die. Putting and chugging. Temp normal. It's got oil, gas, water.. also throws a check engine light. Only 82xxx original miles.. Can anyone help! If not I'm calling insurance and bumping coverage to full..lol

@tom have you gotten it fix.. My 01 is doing the same.

i just got a 2003 dodge neon it runs smooth gas miliage not so good but it idles rough there is a poppin goes on with it done changed the spark plugs n wires hope they done right but wen idling r taking off push gas it stalls pops n wont budge then it takes off its dangerous n embarrassing

10

when it runs bad, and then sluggish from a stop. turn off your AC and it seems to run fine but we live in the High desert and its been really HOT so I turn AC on while driving and then when I come to a stop and before accelerating the AC is Off, and when I'm moving at least 20-30 AC goes back on...Sounds Crazy but it works... anyway I have changed O2, Spark Plugs ,Air filter and Now I will change Wires and Coil see what happens.. take care

I have run acrost this problem in all makes and modles 75% of the time it is the cadiladic converter 25% it's a sensor and or timing belt slipage over time the tensioner on the timing belt streched it just enough to throw it off a half tooth hope this helps all of you

I have a 05 Dodge Neon doing the same thing and I change the camshaft sensor TPS cool coil pack spark plugs spark plug wires and cannot find a vacuum leak but it is still running rough

10

Don't forget the PCV valve, it has a lot to do with idle and fresh air into crank.