My 2002 Dodge Neon automatic base model is leaking transmission fluid from some place other than the transmission pan. It seems to be from the vss area after cleaning and driving. Ideas?

Asked by Oct 13, 2012 at 09:23 PM about the 2002 Dodge Neon 4 Dr S Sedan

loses 3 drops at a time, but leaving spots my carport. I did not overfill the transmission fluid, and the power steering is good. If you are in front of the car looking under the hood, it is coming from the front right near the top of the transmission. I believe it is the vehicle speed sensor, but I don't know if fluid would even travel through that....

Can you get a picture of the suspected leak?

I can make an attempt at a picture, Alan, but it's really hard to see without removing the air intake or front driver wheel well cover. Some people have suggested it could possibly be the trransmission solenoid. I will attempt to get you that picture in the next couple days. Thanks Alan!

No problem. I owned 2 Dodge Neons in the last 8 years. I've had them torn completely apart and put back together too. So I kinda know these cars really well. Happy to help.

here is one pic...

the sensor box with the recessed nut in the center seems to me to be the source....any idea what this thing is? It has wires attached, so I guess its a sensor???? this pic is on front of the transmission and that box is on the top left of this cover/plate...

Pull the sensor that appears to be leaking out of the transmission and inspect the seal around it. Let me know what you find.

From your description, it sounds like they're right about it being the control solenoid. Always check the seal when lookin for a leak. That's what they're there for, to stop leaks. Lol

I will do Alan. Thanks!