someone wanna tell me if the long block (block/heads/internals) are the same on the 2002 RT neon as a normal LE or LX? i have the rt and she is getting tired (279000 on it) wanna just swap the engine.

50

Asked by Nov 28, 2011 at 08:31 PM about the 2002 Dodge Neon 4 Dr R/T Sedan

925

http://forums.neons.org/ this website can tell you everything about your neon. think about a SRT4 swap.

if you ask,instead of demanding a answer,you will get better results,change the first 4 words.

1,405

the internals on the r/t are a bit stronger than the base model engine, but they're the same CR, bore, etc. just the metalurgy is different. the heads are also different.

50

so, the short answer is NO for a long block swap, but the short block is same but weaker internals? The old "neon knock" is a top end (head) issue, correct?

1,405

correct, you can use the shortblock it just has weaker internals. but honestly for all intensive purposes it will be just fine. as for the "knock" typically yes its just the lifters that are a bit noisy, you could throw a new set of rockers on it and it might quiet back down. the other thing it can be is piston slap. when these engines get some miles the pistons will sometimes rock back and fourth in the bores from loose tolerances making a tapping noise. it's not going to harm the engine it just makes it noisy.

50

thanks man. she has 270k on it so, not really interested in getting into overhaul on it. guess i call around and see if i can find a donor engine from wreckers and hopefully have it rebuilt for when mine goes. not many R/T neons in my area. found 1 place that has some stuff but, not a full engine for me.

1,405

glad i could help, and it was mentioned before but if you ever have other neon questions check out neons.org there's a lot more helpful people other than myself over there. you could probably pick an engine up from someone on there too.

Please can any gurus help I'm in the exactly same situation. 2001 R/T pistons knock problem .. But here is my question ( can any neon age 2000,2001,2002,03,04!.! Fit into my RT direct-swap (downgraded) and can I keep my dual exaust / transmission because new motor isn't manual I can only find "automatic" engines.. Thanks and good luck everyone.

1,405

you can use any neon shortblock from 96-02 and it will work, but only the 01-02 r/t shortblock will have the stronger internals. manual or automatic doesnt matter as far as the engine goes.

1,565

The "piston slap" has never been an issue on my engine... Mine has been doing it for about 5 years now without any issues... Iif anything the internals are a little more free than an engine that doesn't "slap".

Last thing it must match my 16 valve .. I cannot switch into 8 valve (shitty neons) ;)

1,565

8-Valve Neons? I never heard of an 8-valve... SOHC, DOHC, they're all 16 valve.

Quick question any help would be awesome will a motor from like a 98 neon fit and work fine in a 02 neon