Humming and Ratling noise upon acceleration

10

Asked by Feb 24, 2015 at 04:43 AM about the 2013 Ford Explorer XLT

During acceleration there is a humming/whining noise then a rattling noise comes as well
during 30 - 40 mph.  Took explorer to 2 dealership service departments and they both
could replicate the issue but not find a solution.

36,915

The dealerships are probably ducking the issue, since it could be tranny related. You're under warranty I assume, so keep 'em after it.

10

Thanks KenF. Do you or anyone have any suggestions as to how to make them fix it such as steps that you or someone else took? I already suggested that it is the transmission but they said they did not find anything.

36,915

Does the problem/noise happen consistently? Have one of their techs ride with you so you can point out the exact problem to them. All they did was probably scan it for trouble codes and didn't find any, or put it on a lift and look for loose suspension parts.

10

Yes it happens every time I drive. I drove with one of their techs and they were able to hear the noise but they said they didn't find anything wrong. That is what is frustrating that they know there is an issue but they can't or won't fix it.

36,915

If I had to guess, and based on the limited info here, it could be a clutch pack. I assume you under full warranty, so it's the dealership's responsibility to fix this and in a timely manner. Dealers get reimbursed by automakers for warranty repairs on billable parts, but not on diagnostic time. So their attitude is to do little until the part completely fails and then it "ah ha, so that's what it was..." You just have to become the squeaky wheel and keep after them.

10

Ok thank you for your help.

10

I have a 2015 Limited. Has harmonic/vibration from engine compartment in what seems to be 2nd thru 4th gear with light gas pedal pressure- more prevalent going up hill - can't get it to replicate at dealer. Is less noticeable if I press harder on the gas. Ford says they don't have any open bulletins on any issues. Have checked top of & under engine - can't find anything loose. To me it is trans or something associated with it.

36,915

Cassiecaity, it may be the CV joints causing your vibration - assuming you are referring to a Taurus Limited and not the F150 Limited, for the F150 it might be a worn U-joint.

10

Thanks Kenf- should have said it is an Explorer Limited with 14000 miles. I think it is the transmission (vacuum issue?) as at light throttle in 2nd -4th, the noise is there on acceleration & deceleration, more noticeable when first starting. At heavier throttle, it is less noticeable or is gone. Need to work with it more to isolate the noise.

50

I rented a 2016 explorer this weekend. It was fine around town but hot on the interstate

50

Rented a 2016 explorer this weekend. It was fine around town but when I got up to about 70mph on the interstate here came the rattle and humm. Come to find out the hood is thin and a support under it had come loose from the spot weld. I didn't spot weld but I did take a hand towel and folded it a couple of times and placed it between the cowl and hood where they meet making it snug. I placed it in the center close to the windshield. You will see where they meet. Tested it at 70mph plus on the interstate and it was quiet with no humm or hood vibration. Not a perfect fix but it did make it quiet. Ford should do a recall on this. Hope this helps.

My 2015 Expedition XLT is doing something similar. Slight Howling noise but only upon slightest acceleration.. anything heavier and it goes away. I had to be persistent with getting dealer to agree that they hear the noise. Best place to test is on level interstate with the ability to add - remove slight pedal pressure. happened in 3-6th gear, and not just a rolling noise. Not tires, not in neutral, not sitting still revving it up..

Hi, I have noise in front I feel it's from once I run the car for 10 min after that nothing 2013 explorer it like metal on metal wear but not continually I went to ford workshop thy said there is nothing