My 2004 ford freestar dies when u put itin gear it starts up fine but wont go in any gear with out dieing

Asked by Jan 23, 2015 at 05:47 PM about the 2004 Ford Freestar Cargo

You can start the van no problem but it wont go in any gear without dieing took it to get
fixed yhe guy said he fixed itbut he didnt so we brought it back and now he says it is the
transmission but we asked someone else they said it was the tork converter

torque converter, it is stuck in overdrive mode. was a factory recall. have you had it replaced? if not converter. It will be the computer module. Tends to become comprimised by moisture due to water from the firewall. Dealer will tell you there is a coil pack issue but do not believe it unless you have a random misfire code.

remove computer module. let it dry for a couple of days. seal with silcone. replace. It will still require replacement in future because of the corrosion you noticed on terminals. This will give you time to find a replacement at a more reasonable price than a dealer

I had this problem. It was the ignition coil. As I do the work to my vehicles myself, I found it is very difficult to reach behind the motor. While doing this went ahead and replaced plugs and wires. To be on the safe side. I did reseal the computer module. I have done many of these repairs mentioned myself and they do in fact fix the issues I've had. I have found that many of the dealerships and mechanics at popular locations are rip off artists. They will repair one issue, lie about replacing parts, and some even damage your vehicle so you have to come back. Find a local mechanic you can trust, read reviews if you can find any, and ask around. It sounds as though many of you are being ripped off.