Fan runs constantly

180

Asked by Aug 28, 2013 at 08:54 AM about the 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

2013 escape fan runs all the time. Ford says it is normal since no error lights are on. Seems to be running at high speed and loud. Is this normal

113,665

So let me get this straight, the fan run ALL the time, even with the key off? Or only while running? Is the A/C turned on?

180

The fan runs anytime the car is running, with or without the A/C on.

113,665

OK so the computer is getting a reading that it needs to turn on the radiator fan full speed, so the dealer needs to do a little more digging than they have done or they have missed something basic. I would suggest taking it to another dealer if there is one. If not ask to speak to the service manager and voice your complaint. Most techs at Dealerships get paid book time, so if the problem is not evident in the first 10 minutes they don't want to spend much more time on it. In your case it sounds like they are just putting on the code reader checking the codes and finding none listed they say nothing is wrong, they need to look at the live data and watch the stream for any out of specification sensor readings, just because a sensor is sending a signal doesn't mean it is the right one. I hope I have helped you a little with this.

180

Thank you. We'll be taking it to another dealer next week.

10

My 2013 Escape 2.0 turbo charged Titanium does the same thing. When I initially took it into the dealership, they acknowledged something was not right. They had it for 13 days, replaced the body control module, and reprogrammed the whole car. The minute I pulled out of the lot it started up again -- super loud really fast fan noise (that winds down after the car is turned off); I turned around went back and was told it was normal...hmmm...why did you keep my vehicle for 13 days and change the body control module then? I was told that the mechanic working on my car had intimate knowledge of my car, its engine, and the programing and that nothing was wrong with it and there was nothing more they would do it. Fast forward about 1500 miles -- still having the issue but it has never really been the same since I got it back; cannot get MPGs over 18.8 (even with the green flower award) the car idles rough sometimes I think it is going to die out on me, the oil smells strongly of gasoline and the responsiveness is completely missing. Sometimes when pulling out of a stopped position I get no response (that’s right 0) and then all of a sudden the engine revs to like 4K and the car lunges ahead. Back to the dealership, (they kept it for three days and used my full tank of gas to “check it out”) and when I picked it up I was told nothing was wrong. I am so frustrated with the dealership and the car that I could scream -- but that would do me about as much good as taking my car in. Good luck with your fan issue -- if you figure out what it is post back here and share the news.

30

I have the same problem with my 2013 Escape SEL. I'll be taking it in Monday. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't crazy and that this isn't right.

120

my 2011 escape having same issue with engine fans running constantly. it is related to the air conditioning unit. i unplugged the air conditioning compressor and the fans quit running. FYI air conditioner compressor also runs when heater selector is in defrost mode. helps dry out the air to defrost window quicker. you can also switch heater control to vent mode and it will stop fans from running.

85

@roadhogron if my fan is always running like this, and my AC is not working properly (no cold air, checked freon level and it is ok) do you think they could be related?

I believe they are related. Exact same scenario with my 2012 4cyl

Control module problm some times you can fix by programming