Auto Accident, New Bumper, Muffler, entire undercarriage half way under the SUV, 2013 Ford Escape. How much less would I be able to sell the vehicle for?

Asked by Feb 23, 2014 at 09:16 AM about the 2013 Ford Escape SE

How much less will I get for my 2013 Ford Escape SE that was in rear ended,
causing $1700 in damages, new bumper, muffler and the under carriage, pipes?  
Thank you,
I input the VIN and it produced a value of $22757...but when someone finds out it
was rear ended, won't that reduce the price considerably?  Thank you

Not all accidents get reported to Carfax. But if it was, it will only effect the price if someone questions it. Hard to say an actual amount if any. AS long as the fix is done properly and correctly, you might not have to worry about it.

Tom is right. Plus, I believe, it can depend on how long you keep it after the accident. If someone sees the accident on the carfax and now, a short time later, you're selling the vehicle a red flag might go up. A buyer might think you're trying to "dump" the vehicle because now, since the accident, something's wrong with it that may never be able to be fixed correctly. My Sister recently sold her '93 Cavalier. She bought the car new in July of '93. It was backed into in 2000. She told everyone who came to look at the car about the accident. She said nobody seemed to mind about the accident. She wound up selling the car for $300 under her asking price because the driver's power window needed to be repaired. HTH. -Jim

Tom & Jim, Thank you both so much for responding. But, I need a figure. The accident wasn't my fault. My brand new car w 10500 miles (I only had it 7 mths) was slammed into at 40 mph (I didn't claim any injury, if I was truly dishonest, I would have done that.). I'm an anxious person, so keeping the vehicle prob isn't an option. Sure they repaired it, but the worry wart in me says 40 mph slam, I'm going to have nothing but problems w this car now. In fact, the auto lift hatch is working intermittently. I did not file a claim with my insurance, only the individual who hit my vehicle. Diminished Value is available to me and I'm not missing this boat. Whether I sale it next week or two months from now or a year from now. Bottom line, a buyer looking at two identical vehicles (one being mine), for sale for the same price, the buyer will opt for the vehicle that has not been in an accident. I'm a consumer, I know I would and in fact I know I would never buy a vehicle that's been in an accident. "AutoCheck's" short ad video mentions 1, 2, 3 things, and 2 is "Accident". Immediately following the word "Accident", the spokesman says, "Is the Information Car Buyers Want The Most". My buyer pool is down to about 15% of the purchasers seeking that particular vehicle...eeeks. The claim is still open, the adjuster is low balling and offered $500. I'm thinking it should be $2,000-$4,000. Now I just need to substantiate that. If I could find a vehicle for sale with an "Unclean Title" (due to accident), I could see how much less a dealer is selling an accident auto for. My Escape has the Eco Boost engine, navigation system, panoramic sunroof, auto lift hatch, keypad/keyless entry, Platinum white and luggage rack (those are the extras).. CarGurus produced a market value of $22757, trade in value of $17361, and great deal price of $20,476. I need to substantiate to the adjuster my loss. If I can substantiate minimum $2500, then I can negotiate...and I'd be willing to accept the cost of a "Ford" "zero deductible" 7 year/100,000 mile extended warranty (runs about $1500). But then I would not have anxiety attacks every time something went wrong and I could keep the car. Oh boy I write a book. Sorry. I like this website. Glad I found it. I truly appreciate both your assistance. Thank You, Debbie

I know exactly where you're coming from. In May of 1986 I bought a new '86 Chevy C-10 Pick Up truck. October 31, 1986 some dope plowed me. The truck was only 5 months old! The insurance company fixed it but I didn't want it any more. My Dad took over the payments and it became his truck. After he died we sold it. He never had any trouble with it for the two years he drove it but after it was hit I just didn't want it. I'd suggest running a carfax on your Escape and see if the accident shows up. Did the airbags deploy? That will really diminish the value if they did. It will show up on the carfax as well. Different States have different reporting thresholds where carfax is concerned. I believe in NJ, where I live, it's $1,000.00 damage or higher is reported to carfax. Many repair facilities now report to carfax as well. But if after say 90 days from the accident it's not showing on the carfax it probably won't. Check out pricing on Kelly Blue Book and NADA. I'd go by the "fair" condition retail price or "fair" trade in price. Only because it now has a "jaded" past. I'm sorry this has happened to you. As I said I've been there. Good luck to you!! HTH -Jim