Why does the car not re-start after a 5-minute trip for groceries, etc.? It tends to re-start after sitting 20 minutes.

Asked by May 08, 2013 at 03:36 PM about the 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES

Have already replaced Cam Sensor, plugs, battery, & fuel filter.  Sometimes it won't start after sitting all night, but it usually does.  The starting issues are usually after a short drive on an errand.  Tried the key on/off rountine to "alert the fuel pump" or whatever was advised.  Also, starts to chug if going more than 50 mph.  So is this the CRANK SENSOR or should I just get a new fuel pump???

it is temperature related, right....so crank sensor would NOT be it..Fuel pump would NOT be the case, would cut off entirely....you know in the old days, back in cold climates we had similar problems with a "heat riser" on the carburetor that would cause a butterfly valve to close...a 2002 has moved beyond that technology, but still ambient conditions are considered by your ECM or ECU...what we need to find out is why is it getting all rich and coughy...the answer is it thinks the mix is too lean and needs to get more fuel in the air fuel mixture...we must tell it that it is up to operating temperature, check the sensors, the "amient air sensor" if there is one and the coolant temperature sensor, may be different from your electric cooling fan sensor (if equipped)~ TEMP sensors.....all of them, should be replaced and things will be okay~

Think this is it...Item 1

I'm shitting you not, was going on principle, but here it is....and needs replacement~

Thanks, Judge Roy! So.....you think I can go with just the Ambient Air Sensor for now, or should I also buy the Coolent Temperature Sensor too? I just got off the phone with the auto parts store, and they have both in stock.

OK, I'll get them both. Thank you!!!

...just going from logic....no manual used.

My 2002 Dodge intrepid se just got a fuel pump on and I field up the tank.day latter it Read empty then went back up I do 100 miles a day so I went to get gas. After that I crank it and it cuts off. it did that several times. Same thing. Then it stayed on so I put it in drive it cut off again. A family member came to help me get it home I drove it with the pedal to the floor keep trying to cut off as it was Sputtern.so I stop she started driving it she went from low gear to high gear it kept clunking and try in to cut off and the fumes was bad can someone tell what is going on.thank you

Mark Tucker

Sounds to me your car might be suffering what is called Vapor Lock ..look it up it will explain what I mean ..Alot of times if you keep your car out of direct hot sunlight it solves the problem.

I have a car is a Dodge Intrepid 2001 2.7 and I have check engine light on in it said. Code. P1684 my battery is good I don't know what's wrong everytime I've gone 5 miles when it turns off I let it sit for 30 minutes and then turns back on again what is p 1684 code please help me

Can you help me get my car working ..CODE P1684.... check engine light