CAR TAKES A WHILE TO START

85

Asked by May 31, 2013 at 03:40 PM about the 2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium

So the issue is, I turn the key to start the car and it will take up to 3 seconds for her to turn over and start. I've changed the starter, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, ignition switch, as well as done a full system check, which confirmed that the battery is fine and the alternator. So I'm left scratching my head because I have no idea what it could be. One of the things I have noticed is that if I turn the key from the off to on position, and repeat that 2 or 3 times, she will start up fine. So it may be the ignition module I think??

235

I had the same issue on a '99 Chrysler Sebring. It turned out to be the ignition module and once replaced, it fired up right away.

Best Answer

you've got to switch 'er on and wait three seconds for the fuel rail to pressurize then start?...this should not be a problem unless three seconds is too long to wait~

85

No its more like 4 or 5 seconds, sorry about the 3 but its as if the engine tries to turn over and takes awhile for it to do so. I've had the car for two years and it never had that hesitation to start right away.

would take a second look at the fuel pressure regulator for normal operation~

25,915

Are you sure you have a 2013 mustang?

85

No idk why it says 2013 its a 1998 ford mustang gt

85

and thanks judge_roy i will take a look at it.

25,915

That makes more sense. Sounds like the fuel system is losing prime. Its susposed to only lose a small amount of pressure when off. Sounds like yours is losing all the pressure.

85

Do you know where on my 98, i can locate this problem and fix it?

you've got a fuel pressure regulator....just follow the fuel line~

25,915

the regulator is on the fuel rail.

thanks bro, all is a blurr anymore~

has a bolt~ should not be tough to find~

22,435

Hard start fuel problem on a '98 Mustang isn't a Fuel Pressure Regulator. More like a check valve on the pump or the pump failing. Ford Fuel Pressure Regulators of that vintage will usually rupture the vacuum diaphragm and dump fuel into the intake causing white smoke and really bad MPG - they won't prevent the fuel system from holding pressure. 3-5 seconds? That isn't an eternity.

I have a 2013 mustang gt I just took my car out today since its been in storage for 3 months. Two different times I went to start my car I turned the key and nothing happened. I would try a couple more times and it would finally start. Not sure what the reason is I will be calling Crowley ford on this issue tommorow. I bought this car last year in October. I drove it 2 months then stored it in my garage. I used a battery tender no problem. Last year this happened to me a couple times. I thought I was doing something wrong. Then today for this to happen two more times I ? What's wrong. Will be calling the ford dealership tommorow . I will let you know when I find out.

10

I drive a 98 Mustang, 3.8, 5 speed manual and i have the same problem...started as 3 seconds, now progressively got worse and is around 5 - 7 seconds for the engine to turn over and start up. Most recently it dies and then when i turn the key again it starts right up. One thing to note - after Ive driven around for a few minutes and turn the car off, it has zero problems starting up the second time which is why this problem is so hard to get diagnosed. By the time i get to the mechanic and turn the car off, there arent any problems with it starting up again.

I also have a 1998 mustang gt with the same problem. Wire brushed the spark plug wires and aired out all the fuses and it fired right up

10

@Christie712 I also have a 98 mustang 3.8 with the same exact problem. I hate the fact that it takes forever, embarrassing most times. I realized that it will just keep cranking for about 7-8 seconds and then the oil pressure with move from nothing to middle(normal) and it cranks up after that. So my assumption is how can I get the oil pressure to come up sooner. Sometimes I'll crank it for about 3 seconds, stop and it cranks right up. I also realize with how hard I drive, the longer it takes to start..

22,435

Dear Mustang Owners: 1. Anything under 15 seconds is normal cranking time - your car is older and so is your fuel pump (Change the fuel filter within the last 2 years?) 2. The Oil pressure has nothing to do with the engine starting. 3. A failing Fuel pump might have this effect but not usually. ** When you crank the engine, the PCM has to determine TDC of the #1 Cylinder. It has to reference the Cam and Crank Sensors to do so. It may take several revolutions. If your vehicle has been stored for any length of time without a Fuel Stabilizer added to the tank, it won't crank or run very well either. Comparing how it starts now versus how it used to start is virtually impossible unless you've been keeping track with a Stop Watch. Like I said, If the car starts within 15 Seconds - it's ok.