2003 crown Victoria Police interceptor Headlight/Dash Lights help please

60

Asked by Feb 15, 2014 at 07:51 PM about the 2003 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Hello I have a 2003 Crown Victoria Police interceptor and recently my dashboard Lights Head light and Turn signals all went out at about the same time I looked on the forums and people recommended Replacing the Lighting Control Module, which I did and the turn signal came back on but the headlights and dash lights are still out anybody know whats going on.

101,535

Have you checked your fuses and relays?

17,635

If the fuses are ok the headlight switch is bad and maybe the wiring to it.

60

I checked the fuses they seem good and just replaced the light switch which did appear to be broken but the lights still don't work what else is there?!?!

17,635

The multifunction/turn signal switch.

17,635

Was the connector for the headlight switch burned?

17,635

Have you changed out the headlight relay?

60

I thought the headlight relay was in the LCM? Is it somewhere else and the connector wasn't burned but a small piece in the light switch itself was.

60

Also I dont think its the turn signal switch because the wipers turn signal etc. work and you dont turn the lights on with that

17,635

Yes there is a separate relay for the headlights.

17,635

It is a circuit breaker but like a relay in the under hood fuse box. I am still concerned it may be a bad LCM if the circuit breaker is ok. They had a lot of problems on the 03 especially the interceptor with the LCM's. They make an upgrade kit that a separate relay is mounted outside the LCM or heavy duty ones inside it. They can be found on several different websites. Take yours back and have them give you another one.

60

Replaced the lcm again still no lights

17,635

Pull the bulbs out and see if you are not getting power or ground with lights on and check the bulbs too.

60

I just by passed the lcm and ran wire to a nos safety coral switch to work the lights and downloaded the digihud app for the dash lights not the best solution but I didn't have a lot of time before needing the vehicle and it was a whole lot chapter than buying another lcm To replace the replacement

60

1,465

One thing I am wondering... Are you SURE you replaced with a Crown Vic LCM made for a POLICE INTERCEPTOR? In doing research on the guts of the family of LCMs, I notice that the police version holds five internal relays, instead of the four that you find in LCMs like my 03 Grand Marquis. The fifth one is listed as for "special lighting" (perhaps they are referring to the mini-discotheque attached to the roof of squad cars or flashing grill lights.) But that doesn't mean that there aren't other electronics making the standard LCM incompatible with PIs. I have an '03 Grand Marquis and just received a letter from Ford stating that they are extending the warranty on all Ford/Lincoln/Mercury LCMs sold retail. The one-time extension (not safety recall, as they should have done,) will cost Ford $30 million, and extends the warranty on specific LCMs (based upon VIN#,) to 250,000 or 15 years whichever comes first. Ford will replace without charge for parts or labor, any of the covered LCM's "if the headlights won't come on." They state that you will need to contact any Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership with your VIN# to make an appointment to get this done, and that the repair should take "less than a half a day," but that your dealer may need the car longer due to "service scheduling requirements." If your car is over 250,000 miles, yet under 15 years old, they will fix it until October 31st, 2014. This repair also applies to whoever is registered as the car's current owner, and that they will even REIMBURSE anyone who paid for this repair in the past, if they still have the receipt. Retail owners should call their local dealership with their VIN# in hand and reference "Customer Satisfaction Program 14N01" to make an appointment for this completely free LCM repair. If needed, you may call the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center at 1 (800) 436-7332 between 8-8 Eastern Time. My notice doesn't seem to differentiate between retail or fleet owners, (as a Crown Vic PI may be,) but if a dealership gives you a problem with a fleet vehicle, you may call 1 (800) 34-FLEET. and select option 3#. I still think this needs to be a TRUE safety recall, and not just some bean-counters way of slithering out from having to deal with every other owner who might never hear of this deal, or the thousands or others whose LCMs will fail after this window has closed for good. Some have accused me of being paranoid or something because I have always believed the LCM was just a way for Ford to be able to charge it's customers from 60-100 times what a headlight relay repair should cost. This box should have held a computer, buffer ICs and power transistors, not common replacement parts like relays! Ford used to keep relays on or near the fuse-box where even the owner could have changed them for about $10-12 each if so inclined. Not in a closed black-box costing many hundreds of dollars to replace! Who does that serve? The customer or the repair shop? They got away with it for more than a decade, glad to see the tide turning a bit. Don't get me wrong. These are OUTSTANDING cars in almost every way, it is just a shame that Ford insulted it's most loyal customers by playing it cheap, or trying to needlessly gouge us with a very important safety item! SO... DO NOT TAKE THIS REPAIR TO AN AVERAGE AUTO SHOP. The dealership is fixing this today for free, so don't throw your money down the toilet!

Does anyone know if this repair is still honored at Ford dealers? Just replaced the combo switch in an 03 police. The only lights I can get are brights by holding the turn signal lever (combo switch) towards me as if flashing my high beams.

10

I'm having this same issue with my 03 crown Vic interceptor. Dash lights, blinkers and All other lights but headlights/highbeams won't work unless I hold the combo switch towards me.. Otherwise lights are very dim; like they are not even on..?

Having the same trouble. Anyone ever get it figured out?