Cooling systems

Asked by Feb 08, 2016 at 11:37 PM about the 2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD

My Durango is overheating I just changed the

ok, you have an electric cooling fan that is supposed to come on when operating temp is it not coming on at all?

If the fan is working properly, then it could be a faulty new thermostat or your coolant temperature sensor. Another cause could be that you may have air in your coolant system. Try to remove the air from the system by opening the radiator cap when the engine is cool. Next, start your car and slowly pour coolant directly into the radiator until you cannot add anymore. Slowly press the gas pedal a few times while the cap is still off and then repeat the process of adding coolant until you cannot add anymore. Do this as many times as you can. There is a few other ways to help remove air from your system like pumping the radiator hose with your hand, but my way always seems to work better for me. You can find that procedure on youtube. If you do all of the suggestions above and none of them work, then I would ask if you poured any kind of Stop Leak into the system. If so, you may have a clog somewhere because this is commonly known to happen when using those products. The only way to clear a clog is by doing a complete system flush which still does not always work or you have to find the clog and manually remove it which can be impossible sometimes.

stop leak is bad...simply replace the troubled monkey spit in the to keep things pure and running just as they were designed to~ another one is 'seafoam' which seems more trouble than it is worth...just run clean and switch out the bad parts...actually had to pay 2200 dollars for a repair I did with gorilla snot...and leaked to beat the band yet~...all kinds of products are to be my humble opinion...with Rhizex particles~

Yes my fan is turning on when I start my car I let it warm up and then I start to drive and the temp gauge go up I don't see a leak anywhere on the engine so what could it be ?

someone might have used "stop leak" on that and it plugged up the coolant flow~ is it overheating and steamin' out? sometimes gauges are incorrect~

Coolant Temperature Sensor or air in the coolant system.

this is going to be in the coolant jacket~