What do I have to do to pull my 2002 dodge durango slt behind my motorhome?

Asked by Sep 05, 2013 at 04:40 AM about the 2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD

I'm trying to find out what i have to do to pull my suv.

normally would recommend a two-wheel hauler, but have been issued "the slap" for suggesting this....so am going to suggest a four wheels off the ground trailer~ http://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/121/Auto-Transporter-User-Instructions

10,435

Since it is a 4wd and I think they only came with automatics in the durango it will be tough to pull it without damaging it. The issue is that the transfer case lube oil pump is ran from the input shaft aand the automatic tranny pump is ran from the torque converter. It is easy if you have a manual transmission, leave the T-case in 2wd and put the manual tranny in neutral, the alxes will lubricate themselves. With an auto you risk starving components of oil in both the tanny and T-case if you leave either one in neutral. I know trailers are bulky and a pain in most camp sites. Option 1 - rear wheels on a dolly (smaller than a trailer). Option 2 - dis-connect the driveshaft from the rearend while towing. Option 3 - for under $1000 bucks (half as much as a cheap trailer) you can get a cable operated driveshaft dis-connect. These are pretty slick. (http://www.remcodsc.com/) Other than that you need the tow bar and to wire in a plug to run the lights in the durango with the motorhome. Key will need to be left on to unlock the steering wheel to allow the front wheels to track (turn), I'm thinking they either disconnect the battery or install a dis-connect switch? I think there is tips on the remco site above.

2,755

Best is to have all four wheels of the ground, you could have front wheels of the ground but then you would have to remove the rear drive shaft to prevent the front wheels from spinning and damaging the trany.

10,435

Wow Siguraur. Did you read my answer? "Front wheels spinning" This is an older Durango, it has a transfer case. As long as the T-case is in 2wd or Neutral the Front axle and rear axle are NOT connected.

2,755

It depends on what t-case he has got in it so better to be safe than sorry since he does not say. There are 3 different t-cases awailable in the Durango.

2,755

And also no matter he will damage the tranny if he does not disconnect the rear drive shaft or get the rear wheel of the ground.

10,435

I stand corrected on the front axle. My friends had a Dakota diff swapped in with the axle disconnect. As I said in my post unless he has the rare manual tranny he should not let the tranny rotate in Neutral.

seen at least two JEEPs towed behind a mobile home four wheel tow on my way to and back from the grand canyon over the last ten days..guess the speed is the consideration....think they just put 'em in neutral and secured the front end to the tow bar...no prob~

2,755

Depends on which t-case they have and I hope they disconnected the rear drive shaft to spare the tranny.

10

my 2002 Durango has a neutral switch, small button located lower left of the 4X4 switch, its a small button that can only be engaged with a pen. this enables you to tow with all 4 down.

Drop drivshaft at rearand tow it that way