I have a 2012 Toyota Corolla check engine light just came on at 60,250 miles. What does this mean? Last oil change was done at 57,150. I just bought this car used from Carmax.

70

Asked by Jun 25, 2015 at 09:05 AM about the 2012 Toyota Corolla L

108,095

you could bring it back to the dealer you purchased it from and have them check it out if the car is still under warranty. If not a cheap way would be to go the Auto Zone if you have one near you and the will scan the car for the codes for free.

1,635

Since I don;t know what code you have I can't tell you why the check engine light is on. Have it scanned for free at Pep Boys or Autozone and post the code here.

70

Will do thank you both so much

Those guys are both right, we need code(s) Meantime check your gas cap. Make sure it's at least 2 or 3 clicks tight, and look at the rubber seal, should have no cracks or folds And what oil did you use at oil change?

joemom warranty ran out at 60,000 miles

70

Synthetic oil. And yeah the warranty is out. Thank you so much I will check everything also we had a huge storm last night no idea if that would affect anything

22,935

The major service intervals on cars is usually at 30 and 60 thousand miles- I'm just guessin' it needs it's 60,000 mile service- it might be expensive, but your car will be ready to go another 30,000 with no problems- don't fall into the mindset that you can just drive cars indefinitely without maintenance- so relax, it is just normal- and if there is something broken, the mechanic can address that at the same time-

jam brings up something I hadn't thought of. You do mean the yellow icon that resembles an engine, or text that spells out CHECK ENGINE the Check Engine Light, not "Maintenance required?" BIG difference

22,935

Mr. Nut- I operate on the principle that all cars are due for some kind of maintenance, unless they just rolled off the showroom floor- all owners are lazy about performing the necessary service to keep their vehicles in top condition- as you know, this creates problems- and then we then try to guess what is wrong- heck, I am overdue on servicing MY car-

22,935

And in this case, Ms. Ginger should start with finding a good mechanic and making sure her Toyota is up to date on its maintenance- It is a safe bet, I think, that CarMax did not do the 60,000 mile service before they sold this Corolla-

Agreed. Some people worse that others. One of the worst things other than simple neglect is a cheap oil filter. Try to save a buck on a filter and....(well maybe not this bad but I think you get my point)

IMO all Toyota owners should register at this site and it will show all service records done by a dealer or shop. (Does not include jiffy-Lube etc and self-performed,) but it can be entered in records as self performed. Have your VIN ready and go to this and sigh up, I participate there in the Q&A "Ask an Owner" http://www.toyota.com/owners/login?p_error_code=OAM-4

It always says the site is down for maintenance. Has had the banner there for years. But it's not. It works just fine

The scheduled maintenance per Toyota is very minimal. Change oil, rotate tires, inspect brakes, and at 60,000 a list of things to inspect, and change engine air filter every 10,000. Cabin filter every 20,000 It doesn't even say replace spark plugs until 120,000

70

Thank you all. I'm taking it to Carmax tomorrow morning, they said it's probably nothing major just that I didn't screw my gas cap on tight enough. They said they would need the computer to turn it off. But we will see. I asked them about a tune up and they didn't think it was that!

251,005

Carmax already sold you the car, and made their money. They will only marginally help you, as they don't want to spend anymore money than they have to on you. If the gas cap advise works, fine, but take the guys advise and find a local mechanic to help maintain it or your local Toyota Dealer.

70

Thank you all so much! You are all amazing! I went to the auto store tonight to get it checked and on the way there it went away...! Will investigate it more if it comes back on. I agree with everyone I need to find a good mechanic I can trust in Des Moines. It's really hard being a single girl trying to get your car fixed. People always want to tell me something is wrong because they know I know nothing about cars. Super frustrating

22,935

Ginger, just remember that every machine needs maintenance- and it is periodical, by mileage- every 15,000 miles a minor service- at 30, 60, 90, 120,000 miles a major service- don't wait until something goes wrong- stay diligent about getting it checked by a good mechanic, an honest garage that you can trust, and that Toyota should go 300,000 miles without any major repairs- and you can check in your owner's manual to see what is scheduled to be done or replaced so that you are familiar with what the factory recommends for attention- this way no one can take advantage of you- good luck!

Actually jam the maintenance schedule is not in the owners manual, has not been since they produced the 10th Generation Corolla in 2008 (for 2009 model year). Ever since 2009 they have had a program called "Toyota Care", all maintenance, oil changes, everything is free for 2 years or 24,000 miles. Every 5,000 miles for two years. Free. They send you an email and postcard to remind you. After that THEN you get your future schedule. Or it can be downloaded by signing up at the Toyota owners site I posted above. And since it went off, I have a nickel says it was the gas cap

22,935

Really- you should change your handle to "ToyotaNut"-

I know, matter of fact tried but would lose all my points. That was in honor of my truck that has been good to me for 40 years When I signed up I tried CorollaNut but was taken