Has anyone from Toyota provided you with a solution to "drive by wire" lag/hesitation upon acelleration?

Asked by Nov 13, 2014 at 06:06 AM about the 2012 Toyota Corolla LE

I have a 2012 Corolla LE that I purchased new. Within the first few weeks I drove it I
realized that there is a problem with a lag/hesitation upon aceleration from a stop or
slow turn. I immediately took the car back to the dealership where I bought it. They
also have a large Service Dept. After they inspected it they told me they couldn't see
the problem & brushed me off. I have dropped off my car at the Service Dept. at least
six or more times since, but nothing has been resolved. Toyota Regional has
inspected it for hours & says they found nothing, I haven't begun to fight this vigorously
due to a serious health issue, but I am about to now. I'm hoping someone will read this
& have some good advice. I survived the disease and do not want to get killed because
of Toyota's "drive- by-wire" electronic throttle control! Thank you.

It might not even be the ETC, Electronic Throttle Control They have been in Corollas for years, my 2006 has it, and it's a proven reliable system Don't get me wrong, I am not saying for sure yours is not bad, just what makes you thing that's what it is? there are so many many other possibilities. I would like to work with you here, I know Corollas. Begin by calling 1.800.331.4331. Their customer service is superior. In 2012 The LE was available with a CVT or also a regular 4-speed automatic..or do you have a manual? Or CVT?

I say it's the ETC only because Toyota has repeatedly told me that it is not the ETC & that they could not find ANYTHING wrong with my car. They were the first to mention ETC/Drive By Wire. I had never heard of either previously. If they hadn't placed so much emphasis on ETC I would not have an actual cause to pin it on. They have never suggested that it might be anything else, only that it's "not ETC". They claim it has never hesitated during their test drives. I do appreciate your recommendation. I will call the 800# you've given me. I have a 4-speed automatic with less than 20,000 miles. I only use Chevron gas. It has only been serviced by Toyota, according to their maintenance guide.

In my experience Chevron gas is not as good as say Mobile/Exxon. Try a few tanks of something different. It's Chicken Soup.It hurt.

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to offer a suggestion. I will give Mobile/Exxon a try the next time I gas up. I'll post whether or not it helped.

Hello, I just want to clarify that I should not be writing anything, anywhere after 11:00 pm! My reply to Ford Nut wasn't exactly accurate. I think I was "sleep writing" at the time. The primary reason I say the problem is due to ETC is because the very first time I brought the problem to the attention of the Service Manager at Toyota he said it isn't a "Problem" it's just that I'm not used to driving a car with ETC technology. He said the lag is a built in safety feature & that's why most newer model cars use it. He assured me I would get used to it.

That's baloney. 100%. There should be no lag or hesitation. Mine doesn't. How in heck would that be a 'safety' feature? He was trying to get rid of you.plain and simple.

I KNOW!!! Now I just have to decide what to do about that?

What will happen is the computer will be updated! Ask if there are any firmware updates for your model! They will be glad to do it if they see that it is lagging! They should not lag, however, Toyota has made every effort to avoid litagation so it is how you approach the dealer! IOW some get defensive at the talk of ETC. BUT updates to firmware seems to keep them calm!

While I am sorry you are having this issue, I am glad to hear I am not the only one with this occasional hesitation! You described it exactly, just on occasion (perhaps 4 out of 10 times I drive the car) I get a hesitation usually when pulling out of a parking lot, especially if I am turning. Mine is a 2014 Corolla S with the CVT transmission. It is dangerous as it usually happens when I am slightly rushed (never flooring it or anything) I never experience this hesitation at any other speed than from a stop. It almost feels as if the traction control is retarding the power, but I know there is definitely no wheel spin (heck, you can't get a Toyota to spin it's tires flooring it from a stop with or without traction control)! And as mentioned, when this hesitation occurs, it's when I am just slightly rushed, not full acceleration. If you ever find out, I will be anxious to hear what it is and if there is a fix..

I have a 2008 corolla and brought it to notice of dealership the first day itself that there is a certain delay in acceleration when you hit the gas, and same way lag in deceleration when you let the gas pedal go. They said it's normal. Emailed to Toyota Japan, they sent the dealership people to me , but dealership again brushed it off and wrote that it's all fine. Without my consent or confirmation of that email it was accepted. I have been living with that. What to do ?