Do I need a new Vehicle dynamic control module?

Asked by Jun 16, 2015 at 01:14 PM about the 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

I have just bought my 2012 Outback after a 3 yr lease at 41.000 miles.  Right after it was
re registered in my name and returned to me, the brake light and the skid icon were
flashing.  I am told I need a new Vehicle dynamic control module which will cost about
$1,400. and is NOT covered by the extended warranty that I just purchased.  I am dubious
about this.  Any insights?

7,335

I don't know anything about them. Check with legacy or outback forums. Sometimes you can fine really good hearted certified techs on the forums that know exactly what is necessary and provide the info free of charge. Best regards

25,075

OK, here's some useful information for you, The VDC system is designed to help you control the stability of the vehicle. The VDC indicator light flashes to alert the driver to extreme driving conditions. There's a VDC control module and two other modules called an ECM and TCM. There are wheel speed sensors that send information back to the VDC to help control the vehicle, so losing your VDC system will cause the vehicle to not handle nearly as well as it should. You should definitely get this fixed. Now, as far as your warranty, I would argue that this is a mechanical failure and covered under most extended warranties. They may be hiding behind the clause that the warranty does not include "brakes", but, in my opinion this goes beyond the braking system and you should enlighten them if that's what they're saying. Go to the Subaru dealer where you purchased the car, I imagine that you didn't get this from a "used car" lot or private party? Get them to document what's wrong and go after the insurance company. Insurance companies want your premium, but, they don't want to pay, ridiculous. Who's your insurance company and did you read through the fine print? There's usually a deductible, mine is $100 per incident. So, if something like that were to happen, I'd have to cough up the $1,300 balance. Good luck.

25,075

Didn't you get one of these plans? They're offered by Subaru. It's known as mechanical breakdown insurance. However, many credit unions offer a similar plan to this for less money that's just as comprehensive. Option 1 7 year or 100,000 Miles CPO "Classic" Wrap-around plan with Roadside Assistance . Classic plans cover nearly 1000 parts in all major component areas, including engine, transmission, drivetrains, front suspension, steering, brakes, electrical, cooling and fuel systems and air conditioning. Also provides towing and rental car reimbursement for covered repairs. Option 2 7 year or 100,000 Miles CPO "Gold Plus" Wrap around plan with Roadside Assistance Gold Plus plans include all Classic plan coverage plus hundreds more parts. In fact they provide essentially the same "bumper-to-bumper" coverage as the basic factory warranty. Only a few maintenance items and body parts are not covered. The Gold Plus plan also reimburses for lodging and meals when a breakdown interrupts your out-of-town travel, and includes road hazard tire protection, computerized trip routing, retailer locator service and travel assistance. The plan I have covers all electronic parts as well.

25,075

There's no reason why your brakes and VDC should not be covered, By the way, how do you like the H6 engine? The only downside to this car in my opinion is the 5EAT transmission. It would have been better as a six speed.

25,075

Salisbury- if my answers were helpful to you, please give me a "best answer" or helpful answer reply. Thanks. Hope you get your car issue resolved. Good luck.

25,075

Did you ever get this resolved?

Ha the same issue after replacing the battery.... Buddy reset the codes on ABS and VDC and all good. He had to use 3 different tools though and took him an hour but it's done. Subaru can do it but they will try to rip you off for the new control modules for sure. Find inependent mechanic with the latest diagnostic equipment . You can't do it with simple ODBII reader unfortunately....