4wd fuse keeps blowing

Asked by Sep 25, 2016 at 10:57 PM about the 2002 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr SXT Extended Cab SB

My 2002 Dodge Dakota v6 automatic keeps
blowing the fuse to the 4wd. Any
suggestions on what to check or what could
be causing it to keep blowing the fuse?

Check for shorts between all those components.

It stuck in 4hi also . I forgot to put that in my original post

The ground & Positive wires for the encoder motor can short because of corrosion and it grounds to the case with shorts faster, look at and see if at the connector you have a good ground and visually look at it if its questionable run a new ground & positive wire and can also run an extra ground wire to frame. If its the ground it does not throw any codes and encoder motor will not move so what position it was in is the position it stays in and wire harness for it can sag down and make contact with front drive shaft so zip tie it up or readjust it if its sagging down.

Of course if those wires are good there is the encoder motor itself and the transfer case control located in dash between 4x4 selector and steering column and vacuum control near frame and right front fender.

Thanks very much your adviced helped me fix the problem. The wire harness was hanging down and rubbed insulation off of one of the wires. I put black tape on it and zip tied it up and it's working just fine now. Thanks again for your help!!

Glad to hear it.

Another problem I'm having with my truck is a ticking sound when I press down on the gas pedal pretty good to speed up and at highway speeds it just don't have any power and when I try to accelerate to go up a hill it kinda misses a little and then once I get level again it does fine. But it does the ticking sound anytime I push the gas to speed up. Any suggestions?

Sounds like valves need adjusted, Loose rockers, but could be a push rod if it id from the top end. Most time when on the gas its the top end. Check or have them adjusted. Lower end starts out ticking when idle and goes away when on gas but later on of course this will get worse if it is bottom end and can tick very hard. But until it breaks you do not loose power unless rings have failed or what I believe is the top end which you loose power more and more as it get out of adjustment.

Ok thanks. I will have somebody check out the valves for me

The only cel I'm getting is once in a blue moon p0432 which is bank 2 catalyst is below threshold. But I had the cat checked and they said it was good