Three mechanics couldn't figure out what's wrong

10

Asked by Feb 08, 2016 at 02:05 PM about the 2002 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr SXT Extended Cab SB

My 2002 Dodge Dakota runs fine until 150
degrees then it starts to chug backfire wont
take gas until it gets up to 200 degrees and
then it levels out and runs just fine..... the
original problem was no bus in the odometer
changed the camshaft and crankshaft
sensor didn't work so got a new PCM truck
started right up until it got to 150 degrees.....
three different mechanic all said there's
nothing wrong with the truck and can't figure
it out..... I change the timing belt all four
oxygen sensors coil pack and still does the
same thing...... also I can feel and hear
exhaust coming out of the catalytic
converter bank 1....p1391 keeps showing up

107,765

Has anyone done a "live data" scan on the vehicle yet? the P1391 code, have you physically check for pulse ring damage on the crank sensor? Ohms good from sensor to ECM?

10

I took it to a performance shop,they had it for a week,said all censors were working, ran live scans and couldn't find anything wrong.....they said only way they could fix it would be to tear the whole engine apart I took my truck home from there....

107,765

I don't believe there is anything wrong with the engine due to the fact that it runs good could and after it reaches full operational temps, it still sounds sensor related, of course there is a possibility the ECM has a programming error, was it new or a reman unit?

10

It was a remanufactured I thought the same thing so I got another one and both of PCMs did the same thing

107,765

Ok then all that is left is the sensors, main grounds, sensor grounds, Engine control system voltage. Do you have access to waveform meter? It looks like your going to have to hookup each individual sensor to a waveform unit and watch it as it warms up and cools down, this is going to be very time consuming.

10

Do not have a waveform , but that sounds like it's getting out of my skill level do you think that a hole in the catalytic could be causing it from what I've read o2 sensors don't kick in till 150 and that's when the car kind of goes to hell...... I can hear the leak and feel the leak but it's coming from underneath the casing of the cat somewhere..... all I have is an obd2 scanner and a multimeter

107,765

Well you could do and ohms check on all of the sensor wiring and grounds, that would eliminate one check, as far as O2 sensor heat they make their own in your year, that is why they are called HEGO sensors, if it was a problem you would get a code for downstream sensor. Can your scanner do live data or freeze frame?

10

I've been getting a lot of o2 sensor codes that's why I replaced all four sensors still get o2 heater codes and just recently has moved to bank 2 sensor 2 was only bank 1 sensor 1 & 2.... also random misfire codes and misfire codes for all but the third cylinder..... also at about 190 to 200 degrees right before the engine dies the odometer throws p0351..... takes about 4 tries to get it started but once it starts up its chugs for about another 2 minutes and then runs fine..... my many mechanics have over 18 hours of live data diagnostics and can't find anything wrong with it said it was the first car they couldn't fix

10

And yes my scanner can do live data and has freeze frame it is an innova...... please remember I am an amateur but the shft and lift run at 32 on both banks until the car runs right

10

Coil has been replaced twice

107,765

Sometimes even the best tech get hung up on the basics, that is why I suggested the ohms check of the wiring, it only takes a few ohms in the wrong place to really cause a running problem, if it was in my shop and i could not find anything in the live data then the wiring is the next thing I would head for.

10

I have no idea how to even start to do something like that but I am a quick learner I do it I do appreciate all of your help by the way

10

Is it at all possible that a hole in the cat could be causing all these problems it is a Dodge

107,765

Heck anything is possible, I've just never seen one run like what you have stated with a hole in the converter.

10

I got it running cleared all the codes drove it 100 miles and then let it idle in the driveway for 3 hours no codes thrown ..... this truck is an enigma..... buying an old Honda so I don't have to take 30 minutes to get the car started every day but I am determined to fix it..... thanks for all your input if you think of anything else drop me a line you're not in North Carolina are you

107,765

Nope in Oregon. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

10

Well thanks again for all your help I'm going to learn how to read omhs... I've got the Haynes manual truck was from Virginia lot of rust I guess I need to learn where the grounds are and start from there once again thanks