Buying a specific used car

Asked by Jan 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM about the 2012 Nissan Quest 3.5 LE

My husband and i will soon be buying a car through a dealership for the first time.  I'm
pretty specific on what I want--a certain year range and trim of minivan in a certain color.  
This ideal car isn't in the inventories of any of our local dealers, but there are plenty in the
cities around Chicago (a couple hundred miles from us), and we could easily get
ourselves there for a couple days.  I know you aren't supposed to go to the dealership
under any sort of time crunch, which we would definitely be under.  Should we call ahead
to a few and try to negotiate before we make the drive?  Once they find out we are from
out of town, will it give them the upper hand?

Alternately, is it possible to work with a local dealer to find a particular car?  I'm sure they
have resources for buying/finding/shipping that we just don't.  However, this would give
them all the power when negotiating a price.  Any thoughts?

If you go to your local dealership they can call a dealer in Chicago and trade a vehicle off of their lot for one of theirs and they will put it on a truck and bring it to you.

Price is always negotiable. You can do that before or after they ship it in.

In May of 2012 I bought my '94 Cadillac from a Chevrolet dealer in North Carolina. I live in New Jersey. I found the car on the internet and ran the vehicle identification number through carfax. The report looked good so I contacted the dealer to ask if I could have the car inspected. I hired an inspection company to check the car out for me. It cost $150.00. The inspector took 119 photographs of the car, drove it, and gave me a full written report. There were a couple of small issues with the car. So I called the dealer again and negotiated a (lower) price after they agreed to fix the security system, and the steering which the inspector had noted on his report were in need of repair. I then sent the dealer a check. The following weekend my Sister drove me to North Carolina, we stayed over night in a hotel and picked up the car the next morning. I drove the car home to New Jersey with my Sister following me the whole way. I found this a very easy and painless way to buy a car long distance. My Sister and I had a great time too! HTH. -Jim

you can do all your negotiation online.. good luck