Why does engine suddenly stop running?

75

Asked by Feb 06, 2012 at 06:58 PM about the 1989 Jeep Wrangler 4WD

Quits infrequently while running on road or at idle. Never sputters or misses. plenty of fuel and good battery. Low mileage one owner car[me]. Fuel stabilizer,Seafoam used in winter.Car is 6cyl automatic. 40,000 miles. Anyone with ideas?

495

crankshaft position sensor.. it controls the idle of your jeep.. i had the same problem with my jeep.. its like 80 for the part at autozone.. i got it for 30 bucks on ebay

545

It sounds like a sensor, ecu or electrical issue. Does the car just turn off or does it drop in idle and die?

75

Matt....If your solution to the problem is correct,I will buy a new position sensor. Without a correct diagnosis I just don't trust this car for a drive to town.Thanks,Dave Simon...It turns off while driving down the road. Also if I turn off engine at ignition switch, leave for 15min and try to restart engine, it will turn over but not restart.I tried every 2 hrs. It restarted the next morning. Once it stopped while standing and idling.Then I had another difficult start.Thanks...Dave

545

ok maybe not a sensor. Could it be a clogged fuel filter? I think a sensor would either fail completely and stop the car running or working

20

I have noted on my yj that the fuel lines were moved and insulated from heat, Sounds like the old vapor lock sensation. If your fuel lines are ran in a position that could get a heat source try insulating the line and see if this dosnt stop the issue. I bought it with the conversion on the fuel lines, just a educated guess I have had the situation on another jeep I had . Good luck

30

I have an 89 and used to have the carb rebuilt every six months. They were pieces of crap in this particular model year. Once I replaced it with a Weber, I never had that problem again.

10

I believe it is a vapor lock issue myself. I am experiencing the same problem. try when it quits to pour water on the carberator not in it but on the outside of it then see if it will start ! I beileve that there is a different carb set up or spacer out there that will solve this problem I am waiting for some answers also !

50

I used to have that problem. Like Lesia, I replaced the carburetor with the Weber, and haven't had any more issues. It's really nice to not have to keep your foot on the accelerator at a red light. My Jeep is a 1989 Wrangler, 4.2 with the factory 3 Speed Auto Transmission

130

1997 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE. JUST REPLACED BATTERY CAUSE IT WOULDN'T START. NOW IT JUST SHUT OFF WHILE TURNING A CORNER. PLENTY OF GAS. NO NOISE MADE OR ANYTHING. IDEAS PLEASE?

Possibly check your T.P.S (throttle Position sensor)

10

Sounds like might be the validators in your ecm. Watch video on replacing capicator they are 25v 220uf you can get them online or your local electronic store