Why does engine suddenly stop running?

75

Asked by Feb 06, 2012 at 06:58 PM about the 1989 Jeep Wrangler 4WD

Quits infrequently while running on road or at idle. Never sputters or misses. plenty of fuel and good battery. Low mileage one owner car[me]. Fuel stabilizer,Seafoam used in winter.Car is 6cyl automatic. 40,000 miles. Anyone with ideas?

395

crankshaft position sensor.. it controls the idle of your jeep.. i had the same problem with my jeep.. its like 80 for the part at autozone.. i got it for 30 bucks on ebay

465

It sounds like a sensor, ecu or electrical issue. Does the car just turn off or does it drop in idle and die?

75

Matt....If your solution to the problem is correct,I will buy a new position sensor. Without a correct diagnosis I just don't trust this car for a drive to town.Thanks,Dave Simon...It turns off while driving down the road. Also if I turn off engine at ignition switch, leave for 15min and try to restart engine, it will turn over but not restart.I tried every 2 hrs. It restarted the next morning. Once it stopped while standing and idling.Then I had another difficult start.Thanks...Dave

465

ok maybe not a sensor. Could it be a clogged fuel filter? I think a sensor would either fail completely and stop the car running or working

20

I have noted on my yj that the fuel lines were moved and insulated from heat, Sounds like the old vapor lock sensation. If your fuel lines are ran in a position that could get a heat source try insulating the line and see if this dosnt stop the issue. I bought it with the conversion on the fuel lines, just a educated guess I have had the situation on another jeep I had . Good luck

30

I have an 89 and used to have the carb rebuilt every six months. They were pieces of crap in this particular model year. Once I replaced it with a Weber, I never had that problem again.

10

I believe it is a vapor lock issue myself. I am experiencing the same problem. try when it quits to pour water on the carberator not in it but on the outside of it then see if it will start ! I beileve that there is a different carb set up or spacer out there that will solve this problem I am waiting for some answers also !

40

I used to have that problem. Like Lesia, I replaced the carburetor with the Weber, and haven't had any more issues. It's really nice to not have to keep your foot on the accelerator at a red light. My Jeep is a 1989 Wrangler, 4.2 with the factory 3 Speed Auto Transmission

90

1997 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE. JUST REPLACED BATTERY CAUSE IT WOULDN'T START. NOW IT JUST SHUT OFF WHILE TURNING A CORNER. PLENTY OF GAS. NO NOISE MADE OR ANYTHING. IDEAS PLEASE?