Car won't start

Asked by Jan 10, 2009 at 04:12 PM about the 2002 Dodge Caravan Sport

I tried to start the car, it was similar to a dead battery (tried to jump just in case) but dash dials spun, wipers moved (front and back), and there was a clickng from either the fuse box or just below it.

This happend once previously but the car started after sitting for a while. This time however, this hasn't fixed the problem.

215

I just had s similar problem with an 04. I can almost definitely tell you its the battery. If you dont believe get a voltmeter and measure the voltage.

115

Hey had same problem, took to dealer, they said battery, we replaced it, 2 months later same thing, took it back. This time dash display light wouldn't shut off, towed to dealer, started right up for them, but then wouldn't shut off. Had a bad relay, didn't charge because of initial wrong diagnosis of battery.

225

The clicking noise sounds like a relay actuating. Could be the starter solenoid although I don`t know where that is on your model. Did the engine turn over at all?

115

One time it just did the clicking, we thought the starter was maybe going out because it wouldn't even jump stsrt. Left it for awhille came home after couple of hours, started right up. This last tie it just did like a dry cranking, like not getting fuel, but wouldn't start. Not sure where this relay is located but fixed the problem. This is an 06 with onlyhas 40,000 on it, wouldn't figure to have starting problems with that little mileage.

225

if the starter doesn`t turn the engine, even once, and then does, I would look there first to be honest. Faulty parts can happen with any car, any mileage in my experience. Definitely sounds like an electrical issue, starter or starter circuits. An auto electrician would be my first port of call. An alternator voltage check wouldn`t go amiss either, which is a simple and usually free check. Good luck!

515

Start by the most simple test before investing in battery or starter: check the cable terminals and terminals. These become rusted in the inside and does not make a good connection, fooling you about battery or starter.

225

Anythings possible, but I don`t see rust happening on a three year old car.....As the previous poster says, diagnose before buying parts. Most dealers will do a diagnostic check with their own diagnostic equipment for a nominal fee with no commitment.

10

I've had the same thing happen with mine. Battery was fine. The cable terminals needed replacing because the weren't making a circuit anymore. Corrosion had eaten through the really crappy terminals that were on the cables. I use a terminal scrubber and sandpaper to get down to metal on metal for better connection if the terminals are seriously corroded. So, now I am having the same problem, but have done what I can do. Time to take it in to my mechanic to check starter relays and such.

110

car starts when I get a boost and wiill not start after i shut it off battery is new what can I do

Many vehicles use a circuit that continues to crank the engine until it starts even though the key is released. If there's a failure in that circuit then the start relay may click but the engine won't start because it thinks it's already running. theoretically at least.

30

Happened to me four years ago, it was a bad battery. Happened again to me today, the battery was good so I beat on the starter with a hammer and it started. I pulled all the fuses and relays today and cleaned the posts before I smacked the starter.

60

I have a question my 2006 dodge caravan won't start we have a new starter and battery still nothing can a bad solenoid switch be the cause

10

I had the same problem I n my 02 grand caravan,after replacing the starter and hooking up a push button starter and no luck I changed the ignition switch and it started rite up,I just got it running today so hopefully.......