2003 Dodge Neon Won't Start

30

Asked by May 03, 2016 at 12:21 PM about the 2003 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SXT Sedan

I have a 2003 Dodge Neon that won't start. The key will be turned and it won't
turn over. You can hear a click form under the hood but nothing else. All the
electrical turns on.
I've checked the battery, its good. The terminals have been cleaned. The
starter completely replaced. Any ideas on what the check from there?

35

Sounds like the alternator.

80

Be sure and check the battery while it is under load. Sometimes dead cells in the battery will play tricks on you. Remove the battery and take it to advance auto or someplace like that and have them test it. A dead cell will sometimes show you have voltage in the battery and then when it's tested under load your CCA will not be where it should.

30

Eamills2007, why do you say the alternator? Put in a completely new battery. That's not the issue, it works in another vehicle to. I've also checked the neutral safety switch, the relay. Neither of them seem to be the issue. I'm not getting any codes. Checked for signs of issues with the SKIM system. I can hear the fuel pump kick on. I continue to turn the key and get just one loud click, which seems to come from the starter and motor won't turn over.

80

So you have tested the battery under load then if you put it in another car. If the starter is clicking then the start is getting power, that's the solenoid switch actuating. If it's just one click, check the starter and make sure it is properly grounded. I have had that issue before as well. I had a ground that had just vibrated loose over time and the starter wasn't getting a good ground. It definitely has nothing to do with the alternator though, alternator does nothing for you during start up its only used to provide power after the vehicle is started.