starts and then dies within a minute or two

Asked by Aug 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM about the 2003 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SXT Sedan

my p/s pump froze up and I replaced it and the serpentine belt. after starting it the lights are real dim and I ran for about 45 minutes then died. now when I start it it only runs for a minute or less and the head lights are real dim but it dies and wont stay started

210,555

Check your belt routing, you might have gotten it wrong. Check the alternator as this will give you the dim lights. Also check the wiring to the battery.

1,575

Sounds like the car may be running on the battery... When you get it running check the charge voltage on the battery , it should charge at 13.5 volts or better. If it's charging at 12 volts or less, you'll have to replace the alternator.

1,575

As a quick FYI, the Neons run 2 belts, one for the power steering and A/C compressor, one for the alternator. The alternator belt does not need to be removed to replace the power steering belt. The Power steering belt uses a spring-loaded auto tensioner and the alternator is a manual tensioner. Before I get hung out to dry by those insistant that the charge voltage should be over 14 volts, the charge rate of the alternator in these cars is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), and will only allow the alternator to charge as much as is required to keep the vehicle and its accessories running.