Help!! Crankshaft Position sensor code after engine swap.

Asked by Oct 25, 2010 at 03:35 PM about the 2003 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SXT Sedan

I need help from a genius.  I have an 03 neon.  I got an engine out of a 03 neon.  The engine out of this neon had the old style 2002 block.  The crank sensor is in the back by the oil filter on the 02 and the 03 has it on the front by the starter.  I modified the harness to reach the sensor in the back.  It plugs up just fine, but we are getting a code and the engine will not start.  The sensor from the 03 block is definately different than the sensor in the 02 block.  Does anybody know why this engine will not run???  I have already replaced the crank sensor and I am still getting the same code and it still will not run.  There is no spark at the plugs at all since the crank sensor controls the coil pack.  Please help.

485

Just because they plug up doesnt mean there compatible. The teeth on the reluctor wheel where the crank sensor reads might be different causing the car not to start. Need to have the same style of engine that you took out first car or it will not crank at all.

20

Did you ever find out what the problem was. I have an 01 neon bought an 04 engine needless to say its still on the shop floor. Anyone interested in a 04 motor?

10

I had a 02 and tried to put a 05 engine it like u said it wouldn't work so I did some asking and came up with this the 02 and 05 crankshaft sender emits a different tone and thecomputer doesn't recognize the tone from the newer model so 03they changed the engines format and its not compatible with any cars under that year hope that helps

20

Had the same issue 2003 neon with a 2002 engine. Different computers send different voltage to the crankshaft sensors which are at different locations. My solution was to change the wire harness and computer from a 2002 parts neon. Then after that was done had issues with the ignition switch due to the chip on key so had to replace the entire steering column so that the new (2002) computer can recognize the key. This last part could have been avoided by going to the dealer and have them reprogram the key or the computer. Hope this help somebody. Feel free to contact me if you are having this kind of issues.