What is causing my 2003 Dodge Neon (SE) to not want to go into reverse/drive?

5

Asked by Apr 10, 2015 at 08:44 PM about the 2003 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SE Sedan

I have had this car for a little over a year now, and just recently this problem has come about. Randomly, when starting my car and attempting to go into "reverse"/"drive" from "park," it will not shift, and I have to rev my engine and it will go into the selected position. I took it to a transmission shop because I had a warranty from where I had the trans. replaced, and no problems could be found. Would it be that my shifter cable has come loose/broke or would there be another cause, how can I fix it and how difficult is it to replace?

71,725

Sounds like the shifter cable/linkage is binding because of a worn motor mount or transmission mount. The worn mount can cause the engine/transmission assembly to sag. By revving up the engine this applies torque and causes the engine/transmission assembly to move and release the cable or linkage so you can shift out of park. HTH. -Jim

Why when I shift my car swerve