How do I know if its a fuel filter or fuel pump that is causing the problem?

Asked by Aug 03, 2012 at 08:58 PM about the 2003 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SE Sedan

car turns over like it wants to start,but seems like its not getting any gas..

262,095

Easy way to tell is if you hear the fuel pump prime or turn on when you turn the key? If you don't hear anything, then it's the pump. If it is the pump, you should always replace the filter as well.

305

The filter is actually an integrated part of the fuel pump assembly. It has been coupled with the fuel pressure regulator, which is usually not the problem. The easyiest way to tell would be to usea fuel pressure tester on the fuelrail. The pressure should be around 50psi believe. This is the best way to see if your pump is going out or not.

90

Another way to tell if it is your fuel pressure regulator is if you hear the fuel pump turn on,then turn your ingnition on but not to crank over engine, a few times ( maybe 4 to 5 times ) then turn it to crank the engine over, if your car starts,what you just did was build pressure in the system, what the pressure regulator dose is it also holds the pressure in the fuel rail when the car is not running. Hope this helps who ever might be havering this probmle.

20

My 2002 neon also would crank over and not start. I replaced the fuel regulator and still no start. It was diagnosed that the timing belt went out. The quoted price to fix at a shop was $3800. Sold it to a mechanic who fixed it for 1/3 that price....happy for him.

60

My car ran out if gad I got a dodge,neon 1996 I put gas in it and it will start but when I push the gas it cuts off

20

After I drive my car 4 15 mins or so it will loose power like it's running out of gas the more gas u give the slower it goes