03 Neon - driving slow/sputtering after starting ignition then revs up VERY fast

Asked by Feb 27, 2012 at 07:02 PM about the 2003 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SE Sedan

2003 Dodge Neon SE - Automatic

My car has been having this issue for 7mo. I have taken it to two mechanics who still can not figure out the source of the problem.

The car drives normally about 70% of the time. However, some days, I will start the car and it will sputter as it is idling  in park and sometimes stall. When it doesn't stall, I will put it in drive and it will drive VERY slow for about 10sec, even when I am pressing ALL the way down on the accelerator, then it will rev up suddenly very fast. After that, it will drive normally at high speeds. Occasionally, when idling at a red light it will start sputtering, shaking, and the lights will flicker on and off (headlights, radio lights, etc). Then it will rev up while I am stepping on the brakes and move forward slightly... it;s kind of scary, especially when there is a car in front of me. Very rarely it will stall instead of revving forward..

The check engine light is on.

The codes are:
P0132
P0456

I have changed the O2 sensor twice... to no avail. I have added cat cleaner to the gas tank...

My tags are about to expire and I really need help troubleshooting this issue.

Is it electrical? Is it fuel related? Is this a common Neon problem? Is it easy/inexpensive to fix?

ANY help is appreciated... thanks!!!

1,475

check all the grounds in the engine bay, especially the one for the ecu

10

Pull the plug leads...those long tubes...and check the ends, see if there is any white powder there. If so , theres shorting going on. I bought a whole set and replaced them one at a time as they break down...its one of many Neon problems...and dont ever lose the keys they are $150 each, and a lock is $350...you cant do it yourself either..

1,475

I'm also thinking it could be the TPS sensor as well (throttle position sensor) it is mounted on the side of the throttle body

15

Justin is correct. My '03 did the SAME EXACT thing. Replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor) and did not a single problem afterwards.