2003 dodge intrepid se wont turn over

215

Asked by Feb 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM about the 2003 Dodge Intrepid SE

when i turn the key to the on position all the lights and bells work. i turn the key to the start possition
and get nothing. No fuel pump kicking on not even a relay clicking sound when i hook the obdII to
the
car it reads NO LINK car is getting ready to be scraped if i cant get it figured out.had one person tell
me
it may be a broken wire in between the key switch and the computer

You must do some testing then, follow the schematic test each wire coming off of the ignition switch and it's destination. You'll need a good fifteen feet test wires- meticulous yes, but there is no other way. Nose to the grindstone, one wire at a time~

215

i have tried changing the steering column with no help there would it be a ground wire possibly?

Yes. definately, if there are any electric components there, must have a ground wire.

see you've already solved the puzzle...hey what do you need us for?

215

so you dont think this might be a ecu problem?

Keep seeing references to the key as controlling everything. Are you using a different key then you usually do. Apparently these things are coded.

Best Answer

The ecu is primarily concerned with keepin the motor runnin right. unsure that it has any relation to this problem.

215

i have the factory sentry coded key without the key fob but still without the coded key the car should still start then shutdown after 2 sec. i get nothing from the started or fuel pump

are you under warranty? Get those bad boys all up in there on thier dime!

feel sad that I wasn't able to solve your problem and admit defeat. Perhaps a guy like DavidH25, tenspeed, smoothpapa any of the top three gurus would tackle this in a sec. If we are out there long enough they will help!

llregal is a dodge afficianado-like a bulldog grabs onto the problem and researches it with printed media, then churns out a rather verbose explaination if he, a kind of creature that gets ahold of this we will see dissertations aplenty...but don't get on his bad side...

215

any help i can get i appreciate and no i wish it was still under warranty makes me mad the car ran when i got it and then one day i shut it off and this happens hope its not in the anti-theft

one of these other chaps will help you. common sense barnyard mechanic has limited resources...some of these fellows will dish out nothing but right answers...hold onto your hat...if we wait long enough...too bad we couldn't put a RED FLAG on your problem...I'll see about that too=

Why aren't you using your ORIGINAL key. it will contain what it wants to see.

Honestly I couldn't tell you if the Electronic Control Unit is responsible for security and more...completely out of my league..aplogies all around...just here to help anyway I can.

Hi fellas and good morning. The ECU is responsible to that^^ above post by Bob, and "no link" means there is no link from OBDII port to the brain of the car, the ICM or the ECM where the faults are stored waiting to be read. Not 'no link' from key transponder to ICM to start the car. No link means the scan tool is either not getting a signal from the port or the faults have been erased, which can happen if the battery is disconnected and it's just empty, no faults in there. They were lost when you changed the steering column. Which leads me to: did you swap the entire steering column and why? (I smoke those punch in Camel Menthols) anyway this

goes in to this

When you changed the column, and with it a new key, the ECU must 'learn' the new codes. Insert the key that you would like to program into the ignition of your Dodge and turn the key to the "On" position. Leave the key in the "On" position for 10 minutes and 30 seconds. Turn the key back to the "Off" position after the 10:30 span has elapsed. You must do this within 45 seconds and then repeat the process two more times, leaving the key "On" for 10 minutes and 30 seconds each time. Turn the key back to the "Off" position after the third cycle. Turn the key "On" and start the vehicle. Your key will now be successfully programmed and ready for use. Programming Additional Keys Insert your programmed key into the ignition and turn the key to the "On" position for five seconds. Return the key to the "Off" position after five seconds and then remove the key from the ignition. Insert a new key into the ignition within five seconds, turn it "On" for five seconds and then return it to the "Off" position. Turn the key back to the "On" position and the programming will be completed.

I hope that helps. then when you get it running, drive a few miles to let the ECU store whatever faults there may be, then scan it again.

215

ok i will try these options today, and i changed the steering column due to i had a mechanic tell me the problem im having could be a broken wire between the key switch and the ecu..i changed the entire column and got nowhere i will today re- program the key witch i have the original and the new one from the column

215

ok have found out that this car has not got a sentry/skimm key system. if i had this system my key should be grey right? i have a black key, and also there is no anti- theft on this car that im aware of there are no indicator lights on the dash that would tell you its armed or not

I just called my sister on the phone, because she has Dodge Durango, Her key is black, for a 2005.. Yes you do have ant theft, that is what key transponder codes are for.

...thanks H25....there is no replacement for your continuing excellence-

215

no david i do not have a immobilezer that would look like this

215

mine on the other hand looks like this

215

and this

215

anyways update: i hot-wired the auto shut-down relay and to my surprise all my relays seemed to work except for still the fuel pump and starter relay if i hot-wire the fuel pump relay i get fuel and then hotwire the starter relay i get it to turnover but still no spark . i still cant get my ignition to do the work

215

The Auto Shutdown Relay (ASD) - actually, this rarely breaks, but when it does, the engine stays off. One purpose of the auto shutdown relay is to avoid "dieselling." It kills all fuel delivery and spark. The ASD can be triggered by a broken wire or short in another place -e.g. the fuel pump

did someone say "learning curve?"

215

ha!! im trying though damn cars

please 'camel, you are interesting sort of person. Can we not put your face up there dig into your wallet, your picture IS handy,,,,stop it. make with the goods~

...or your buggy!

you know those ten points are from me. I can give you more if you like!

I am certainly on a learning curve here. punch, Dodge had to have changed the way they do it in 'twixt 03 and 05 then. I been watchin' and learnin' sorry for the mis info

But are those not the same pictures?

215

they are the same ignition switch but the immobilizer is an add -on for the anti-theft that slides over the ignition switch

Got it. Ok. still learning